"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

????Dial identification????

Started by stub, November 25, 2009, 07:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

One of the people I asked about your dial replied with this message:
"Yes, it is a dial made by North Electric Company. Very likely used in an AE phone to convert it from manual to automatic. 100% sure it was not part of the phone when it left the AE factory. It is pretty common to find SC phones from that time equipped with North Electric  dials because SC still did not make their own dials, but once in a while you find phones from other manufacturers with North dials also."

The second person I asked replied with:
"Your "mystery dial" is a later North Electric, and was probably installed on the #34 by an Independent Telephone Company. It operates just like any AE dial, though."

The third contact said:
"It is a North dial.  I knew I had seen it before so I went out and dug out my North dial that I have had for a long time, and sure enough, that's it.  My North is older than the one you showed me, but the same basic mechanical design."

The final proof is that circular component sitting on the plastic tray shown on the upper left corner of the fourth picture. I once took a North dial apart and it has the same component. I have attached a couple of pictures of that component and the card retainer ring from a North 541 phone. They look identical.
Jorge

stub

JorgeAmely,
                     Thanks for time and trouble!!!!!!   Now I know a North Electric dial from the rest.   Thanks again ,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield