News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft yellow 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2010, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Dan , I'll give you a detailed breakdown of where all the wires go and their colours. I know it sometimes is hard to follow on a photo. I'll get to it later when I have more time and I'll include a clearer photo to help. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Ok here goes

426 tube  3 wires

1. Yellow to L2
2. Red to G
3. Grey (slate?) to K

Ringer 4 wires

1. Red to G
2. Grey (slate?) to G
3. Red and white stripe to K
4. White to A

Wall cord (end to network)

1. Green to  L2
2. Yellow to G
3. Red to L1

other end of wall cord (to "biscuit" jack)

1. Green to green

2. Yellow AND  Red to Red

New photos

Biscuit Jack  (reverse polarity, I guess you could pair up green and yellow with correct polarity)

Network view one

Network view two

Hope these help!

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Where does the modular plug terminate ?
The reason I ask is, If you take a 2 ended modular cord, and cut it in half to make 2 line cords, only one of the cords will be polarity correct the other will be reversed.
D/P

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 05, 2010, 11:24:41 PM
Dan;
Where does the modular plug terminate ?
The reason I ask is, If you take a 2 ended modular cord, and cut it in half to make 2 line cords, only one of the cords will be polarity correct the other will be reversed.
D/P

Please explain why one cord will be reversed.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan

Sorry Dan I don't understand, I just plug the modular cord into my wall jack and it all works.

Dan/Panther

There is two ways to connect the plug onto the end of the wire.  Both with the prong up, and one with the prong up, and the other with the prong down. If the cord is assembled with both prongs up, one of the cords will be wired opposite of the other end. I've found two ended modular cords with the connectors on both ways.
The photo below shows both ends of the same cord. Note color orientation of the cords with both cords facing contacts up, one is Yellow, Green, Red, Black. The other end is Black, Red, Green, Yellow the opposite polarity.
If you use one modular cord to make two line cords one will be reversed of the other.
I think the correct way is looking at the contact side of the plug, Black, Red, Green, Yellow.
They will work both ways, but if you have polarity issues, one way will work, the other way won't.
In several threads we have recommended if you can't get the ringer to work reverse the Red and Green wires.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Just for a test...
Disconnect the yellow line cord wire completely.
Connect the red tube wire to L1.
Connect the Red Ringer wire to L1.
It should accomplish the same thing without need for G terminal or Yellow wire.
In effect you have made the Red and yellow wire the same...
D/P

paul-f

Most line cords have a ridge on one side of the cord and the tabs on both plugs is on the ridged side.  If you cut a cord and crimp on plugs on the two cut ends - both with the tab on the ridged side - you should have two cords that preserve proper polarity.

Similarly, coiled handset cords have the plug tabs on the side of the cord that's on the inside of the coil.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

I have always replaced the ends at the same orientation as the end I cut off. I started the habit because I was afraid of messing up the polarity. That is still the way I do it, because it is now habit.

I use to keep a reversing cord on my bench (w/ a knot tied in it for easy ID). It was an easy way to check for reversed  wiring inside of telephones.
My current tester has a reversing button.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

If you make your own cords, I assume you will observe proper wire orientation. My post stated that IF you use a two ended factory made cord, one end will be the opposite of the other. (In a majority of the cords I personally have observed.)
Why they made them that way is a mystery to me.
If your phone system or phone has polarity issues, this can be a problem.
D/P

Jim Stettler

The old mod cords have  flipped ends to maintain polarity. Since new phones are not polarity sensitive then some of them have ends facing the same way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need to reverse the ends of the cords (per D/P's photo) to maintain polarity from the wall to the phone.
As a side note a flush mount wall jack "should" have the clip down (think Gravity). The perfered way to mount a surface jack is jack at the bottom, acceptable is jack to either side. Jack up is not good (dust and liquids running down the cord)

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 06, 2010, 12:17:29 AM
Dan;
Just for a test...
Disconnect the yellow line cord wire completely.
Connect the red tube wire to L1.
Connect the Red Ringer wire to L1.
It should accomplish the same thing without need for G terminal or Yellow wire.
In effect you have made the Red and yellow wire the same...
D/P

I did what you said and it rung great and the light show flickered too.  Now you have a simplified schematic  you can post. Thanks!

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Tonight when it gets dark, call your home phone from a cell phone, and watch the orange glow from the yellow 500. Of course have the lights dimmed or off.
D/P

Dan

I'll do that, it should look good because the yellow is as close to transluscent as you can get (except the clear ones, of course).

Hey Jim S, since you are the "transparent " phone expert, have you ever seen a 501 desk set or 554 in clear with a 426A tube?  THAT would be cool to see in the dark!