"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VINTAGE OLD FASHION BELL SYSTEM TELEPHONE

Started by Perry, February 05, 2009, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Quote from: BDM on February 05, 2009, 02:47:22 PM
Reminds me of the clueless sellers with $10 radios, pricing them at $30K. D/P knows what I'm talking about.

Or, the "very rare" tv "from the 1940's" that is really a late '50's model that has a starting bid of 399.99.

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

winkydink

Speaking of insane prices, I was going to start a different topic but a can mention it here.

What is up with the prices of the 302's lately.  Back in the fall a scuffed up one could be had for around $15-20.  The prices went up before Christmas and then down again after Christmas.

Now scuffed up poorly photographed phones are going for $35-$45 and any thing with any hint of a shine is in the $45 to $60 range.  "refurbished or restored" even more.  Is this cyclical and after the warm weather appears will we see a sharp drop in prices on ebay ?

Perry

The phone listing has been updated with a rant about "Lucy." It's now a "featured item," too. Does that come from having lots of views, or does the seller have to pay extra for it?

benhutcherson

Depending on how "featured" you want it to be, a featured listing can add anywhere from a few bucks to a couple of hundred.

winkydink

Quote from: Perry on February 06, 2009, 10:09:43 AM
The phone listing has been updated with a rant about "Lucy." It's now a "featured item," too. Does that come from having lots of views, or does the seller have to pay extra for it?

Here is the rant ...

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE WONDERING WHY THE PRICE IS SET HIGH IS BECAUSE IT WAS PASSED ON TO ME BY MY GREAT-GREAT GRANDMOTHERS AND RARE..... GOOD LUCK MAY THE BEST PERSON WIN!

PLEASE DONT COMPARE THIS TO THE "LUCY SHOW" AS WELL ALL KNOW THEY US PROPTS.THIS IS AUTHENTIC....SO STOP COMPARING TOTHE "LUCY" PHONE YOU SEE N THE SHOW THEY US A PROTOTYPE...NOT A REAL PHONE..............................

Except lt has a font size of 40 or 50  :D

... and for most of us with even a marginal handle on the english language (myself included) it should be "USE" not "US"

JimH

HE DON'T GOT NO GRASP OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, I SEEN PEOPLE RIGHT LIKE HIM BEFORE IT'S AWEFULL.
Jim H.

HobieSport

The new rant in semi-English is interesting; claiming that this is NOT a LUCY PHONE, because LUCY used PROP phones and this one is AUTHENTIC.

I too wonder what the seller is paying for this listing.  Do you sense a little bit of desperation in the description?  Maybe it gets re listed after it doesn't sell with a lower price and a more thought out, calmer description?  Or some sucker actually buys it and drives the prices of 302s into a giant price bubble and we all get rich? ;)

Winkydink, I wonder too about the price changes on Ebay. In the thread "Tips on Selling on Ebay" Dennis discusses the prices generally going down around April and not going up until the Xmas season approaches.  So...buy low in Summer and sell high for Xmas?

And have we ourselves driven up the price by competing with each other?  Personally I've stopped buying phones as I already have more than enough to keep me occupied for a long long time.

Dennis Markham

My analogy of the prices is purely based upon my experiences when I sold phones.  I do believe the prices generally for run-of-the-mill phones has increased over the past couple of years.  Seems like a black 500 could be had for a couple bucks....I know I picked up several soft plastic black 554's for under $5 plus shipping a few years ago.  But I also think this economy is effecting sales.  Again, I'm strictly talking phones--and not the rare stuff, (Mahogany, Mediterranean Blue, A1's, etc).  In the summer time who has time to sit in front of the computer and look for phones?  Especially here in the north east where summer only last 8 weeks!  I still like summer time flea markets---no shipping costs!

Steve

LOL!

I asked him if the 'pone' works and he said yes. who told him it's 240 years old?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dennis Markham

I noticed I made an error in my previous posting...I wrote Princess instead of prices.....

Obviously the 302 dude has some "issues" as they say.

benhutcherson

I just sent him a question with links to five completed 302s, none of them "Lucy" phones, and all under $50, and asking him how his telephone differs from those.

I'll be interested to see his response.

BDM

Quote from: benhutcherson on February 06, 2009, 03:51:21 PM
I just sent him a question with links to five completed 302s, none of them "Lucy" phones, and all under $50, and asking him how his telephone differs from those.

I'll be interested to see his response.

He'll tell you to go away cause you're making him mad! Just for that, he's going to take his toys and leave the sandbox!!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JimH

As Billy Joel sings in "Movin' Out", "You should never argue with a crazy my my mind......
you ought-a know by now....."
Jim H.

Konrad

BIN it
The price has dropped to a very reasonable $1500 BIN. 

Considering my average cost on 302's is under $30 it will save you having to find space to store 50 phones you could buy for the same money.  Grandma's phone is worth more than 50 generic Lucy phones.

McHeath

Go to his auction now and read all the questions you jokers keep feeding him.  It's hilarious!  You guys are really rattling his cage!  He seems to be waking up a bit as the BIN price is now down to only 1,500.

We should somehow save this e-bay page on the forum for posterity, it's that funny.