News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 20SC *229* Transmitter 315 Ash ? Magneto box WORKS!!

Started by Doug Rose, May 16, 2016, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am on vacation this week so I spent a little phone time in the basement. Windy and Cold ....is this May?

I found this at Brimfield last week, it looks like someone gave up just before hitting the finish line. I put a natural Howards Restorafinish on the 315. Great Nickel Large gongs. Is it ash, it is very light wood. The cords are reproduction and were on it. I wired a jack to the line cord and got Dial tone, but could not transmit. I just bridged ground across rec and viola!

I am really happy with the way it turned out, but I already kept one so its off to eBay on Sunday....Doug

Kidphone

Doug Rose

more pics
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Looks like the so-called "tiger" oak.  Usually when there are multiple pieces of wood with different grains glued together it is quarter sawn oak.  I have a few like this-they are usually stained with a darker finish to disguise the fact that the wood is glued and not a single piece.  Once you start looking for it, you will see it on a lot of later oak phones.  If this one was restored that would explain why the finish is so light and the "mismatched" wood is more obvious. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

thanks Greg....it was as light on the outside as it is on the inside.....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice phone, Doug!

I like the worn look of this stick...something you can't pull off on any other phone without it looking unfinished!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

thanks Christian....although I usually go for the as close to factory look as I can get, there is something about the used....but not abused look of this beauty.

With this auction of the *229* transmitter going for $86, I wonder what my working *229* on a stick with a 315 will fetch....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222114354721
Kidphone