News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 dial issue

Started by recrum, April 21, 2018, 12:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

What would make the dial of an AE40 jingle the bells on another AE40 downstairs?

AE_Collector

The phone with the jingling Bells needs some tension added to the bias spring on the Ringer. A fairly common occurrence where the spikes on the line while dialling causes a Ringer in another phone
to react.

Terry

recrum

Thanks Terry.  I'll give that a shot.  I have several rotary phones in use and only the one in the bedroom causes the one downstairs to tickle that's why I was leaning towards a dial issue on the bedroom phone.

AE_Collector

Others might have more ideas... but give that a try. There are two styles of AE ringers, the older larger low impedance and newer smaller high impedance. Each has a slightly different method of adding or subtracting bias.

Terry

recrum

AE_Collector

Should be a long copper plated spring stretched across the length of the coils. One end attaches to a metal tab that can be bent one way or the other to increase or decrease the amount of bias. I think you want to increase the bias so bend the tab to make the spring stretch further.

Terry

recrum

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 21, 2018, 10:24:11 PM
Should be a long copper plated spring across the length of the coils. One endcattaches to a metal tab that can be bent one way or the other to increase or decrease the amount of bias. I think you want to increase the bias so bend the tab to make the spring stretch further.

Terry

Thanks Terry, this fixed it.  By chance does it also affect ringer volume, because unless I'm just imagining it, the phone seems louder now as well?

AE_Collector

I guess that could be a side effect of getting the bias set better. The only real way to adjust volume to some extent is slightly loosening the screws that hold the gongs and rotating them since the mounting holes are usually slightly off centre. I've opened up many phones to find electrical tape wrapped around the gongs to quiet them even further.

Terry

recrum

My fiance' has a different opinion, but I like it loud.  She jumps every time the phones ring. 

AE_Collector

Which would be okay if it weren't someone calling to see if your furnace ducts or carpet need cleaning!

poplar1

Some diagrams say reversing the polarity should help eliminate bell tap.
Also, when the ringer is idle, the clapper should not touch either gong.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

If all the phones are the same brand... then I'd do the polarity thing.... if they are mixed, polarity first, then bias.... AE phones were notorious for this problem.... I always checked the polarity first, that normally solved the issue.... but staying with all 1 brand helps.... WE never caused this problem to my knowledge...
John