"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Style Attire?

Started by AET, May 16, 2009, 02:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on January 09, 2010, 02:30:14 AM
i picked up a nice Stetson wide-brim in gray and a Cavanaugh in brown, both late 40s or 50s I'd say.  5 bucks each at St. Vinnies.

Pictures please.  I NEVER find fedoras at thrift stores.  Any decent ones on ebay are fought over viciously by collectors.  I bought a new one from Bernie Utz hats a couple weeks ago, but honestly, I keep going back to my Akubra Casual, it's so comfortable.  I also have an Akubra Sydney.

First pic is my new Stetson Royal.  Second one is my Akubra Casual.  Third one is an Akubra Sydney.  The Sydney I got at an antique store.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I will have to take some pics later.  It's 2 am already and I have overtime at the plant tomorrow!!!!!
- Tom

HobieSport

Briny, your Stetson fedora is just about what I'm looking for.

Here is Bogart's fedora from The Maltese Falcon. I'd love a fedora just like this:
-Matt

AET

I like them with a big brim myself, I have a big head, so the brim kinda is more proportioned that way.
- Tom

John S

very cool...i love that era of clothing.  one of my favorite movie is the changling with Anglina Jolie.  the clothes, the cars, all the cool phones in that movie is really cool....and a great movie...

Doug Rose

Style? How about this for style? 6/34 to 6/7/8. My heads to big. You want it? Open to offers.....Doug
Kidphone

Netdewt

I'm too skinny and goofy looking to pull hats off. Also I wear glasses. What kind of glasses did they wear 40's-60's?

AET

Horn rimmed glasses were popular in the 50's, like Buddy Holly, or the ones with the black rims only on top, such as what Malcom X wore in the 50's and 60s.
- Tom

Netdewt

Kenny C

does any one wear saddle shoes
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

How about The Big O,  Roy Orbison.  Here he is with his trademark sunglasses.

Dan

Love the big "O". When I first saw him I thought  he was blind--wearing specs like those...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

So did my ma.  I'm a big roy orbison fan, and an art teacher in high school always called me 'roy' because of my ray-ban's and pompadour.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

The story goes about Roy's (Orbison) glasses that while touring he forgot his glasses and had to rely on a pair of prescription sun glasses.  He wore them while performing.  His "people" liked the image and from then on he wore only sunglasses.

I was lucky enough to sit in the 11th row of one of his shows at a small campus venue in August of 1988.  He died four months later.  His career was on the rebound at the time but his voice was as strong as ever.  His warm up act that day was an up and comer, Vince Gill.

Greg G.

I kick myself for not going to see him the last time he was in Seattle during Bumbershoot before he died.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e