News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 in Red and Walnut

Started by wds, January 05, 2022, 01:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I was surfing the BIN on Ebay and a red ae 40 popped up.  At first glance it sure looked painted, as the red was in excellent shape.  There have always been a lot of old phones on Ebay that are painted to mimic the original colors.  So I took a few seconds to confirm the color code on the base of the phone, went back to buy it and it was gone.  Couldn't have sold more than a few seconds before I tried to buy it.  Next time I won't think, I'll just buy!

As luck would have it, a few days later this Walnut AE 40 popped up as a BIN for $144 (including shipping).  No thinking this time, I bought it as quick as I could.  It arrived today in great condition.  Hope to have it polished up in a couple days.  Plus it has the butler handle.  I've never seen a walnut ae 40 go across ebay before. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Very Nice Dave....I have never seen a Walnut AE 40. BUT I have seen a Walnut AE 34 so it makes sense! Too bad about the red AE 40....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Well done on the Walnut addition. :)

Shame about the red phone. Maybe if a member here bought it they can update us.

Here are the stats for the red AE auction:

Prior to selling the red Phone had 2 watchers, shows as sold for $200.

View count 24
Start time:  Tuesday 28 Dec 2021 22:46:32 UTC
End time:    Tuesday 28 Dec 2021 23:10:27  UTC
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

wds

Couple more pictures.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....this was the prize. Butlers handle to boot.....congrats!!
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Sounds like a find of the month contender to me.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

Walnut?  Not sure what the difference is between the two colors.
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on January 07, 2022, 04:59:22 PM
Walnut?  Not sure what the difference is between the two colors.

Mahogany wood has more red in it than walnut wood. The grain is also different in the woods but no grain in plastic.

The Mahogany image in the brochure looks more red than the walnut color image on my phone.

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on January 07, 2022, 05:15:10 PM
...The Mahogany image in the brochure looks more red than the walnut color image on my phone.

That is what I see on my screen too. Also close up, the Walnut chart image appears to have the 'burled/burr' effect, same as Dave's phone (close up image below) which to me more closely resembles the colour and grain of Walnut. Dave's phone also appears to have the chromium trim, which matches in with the AE chart for the Walnut colourway.

*Colour and grain comparisons from a wood colour chart also added below.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble