News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ODD Pound and Star buttons on a 2500 phone

Started by allnumbedup, January 05, 2022, 03:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

Does anyone have an opinion on what to make of these odd pound and star buttons on a late model 2500? It is an ITT shell with a white exclusion key. The bottom looks to be ITT in its labeling which I could not quite make out but it starts with 2500 on a silver cadmium base with round feet. My guess is some type of immediately pre-divestiture data phone because I think the bottom has a 1986 date. "S"end and "R"eceive maybe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154781602754

Seemed unusual enough that I bought it when the seller accepted by $35 offer with free shipping.  If anyone has an idea, I can hopefully share more when I get my hands on it. JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Jim Stettler

That phone has an auto-dialer built in.
Those buttons are for store and recall.

ISTR that the pull plunger is used as part of the number storage sequence.

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

allnumbedup

thank you, that makes sense. well I guess I will find some kind of non-analog 1980's circuitry or chip inside when I get it then. Interesting it is in a 2500 and I am anxious to date the phone.  I assumed the 1980's touch-a-matic type phones and attachments were the first auto dialing phones after card dialers but I guess that would be a big design leap.  The modular jack from the station cord is broken but I wonder if it  might be a 6 line data port--it looks wider than an RJ11---so maybe the autodialing function is part of a business system and not inside the phone. also I just noticed that the listing on ebay was called "VINTAGE ITT GREEN TOUCH TONE MODULAR DESK PHONE AVOCADO ARMY PEA SOUP PUKE GREEN" --to each his own I guess.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Jim Stettler

Quote from: allnumbedup on January 06, 2022, 04:10:21 AM
  The modular jack from the station cord is broken but I wonder if it  might be a 6 line data port--it looks wider than an RJ11---
It is probably just the appearance of the jack.
Jacks on some  ITT and SC phones look fatter because they didn't do a direct copy of WE.

Handset jacks are 4 position and 4 conductors
line jacks are 6 position with 2.3.4.6 conductors
RJ45 configuration data jacks are 8 position and usually 8 conductor.  You usually don't see these on desk phones.
JMO,
Jim

Handset are 4P usually 4C for a standard handset , 2C for a modular candlestick receiver
Standard line jack  is 6P  either 2C, 3C , 4C or 6C 
a data type jack is 8P and usually 8C

Handset =4P4C
WE mod phones usually have a 6P3C jack
RJ45 configuration  is usually 8P8C
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.