News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pleasant Surprise!

Started by DavePEI, October 17, 2011, 11:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

This morning, I received a pleasant surprise. I was given a Northern Electric N400CG, Battery Holder, and a D1 stand... Some work to do to clean it up, but overall in good condition. I have included an "as arrived" photo of them when they arrived below.

The 5 bar magneto had a stripped gear, but I exchanged it for an extra I had, and replaced the clapper cover with one I had. This was from a N400 that was smashed beyond repair.

The D1 will need refinishing, but electrically is in good shape.

With a clean-up the N400CG looks great the joints between boards in the cover are separating, so I will either re-glue and clamp them, or if that turns out to be a problem, I still have the cover off that scrapped N400CG which I can replace it with.

Surprisingly, the rubber cords were in excellent shape, only needing cleaning!

This stand and subset were brought by museum visitor Brian Gough and donated through him by Mel Norwick of Whitby Ontario.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on October 17, 2011, 11:36:49 AM
With a clean-up the N400CG looks great the joints between boards in the cover are separating, so I will either re-glue and clamp them, or if that turns out to be a problem, I still have the cover off that scrapped N400CG which I can replace it with.

Surprisingly, the rubber cords were in excellent shape, only needing cleaning!

I finished up this phone today, re-gluing and clamping the subset cover last night, and putting the ringer back on the cover this morning, giving it a good paste waxing this morning, and touching up the wear on the cradle of the stand. The cracks between boards of the subset are no longer noticeable, and the joints are tight.

Since the paint was rough on the dial blank, I decided to replace it with another identical one I had here, but with perfect paint. The original was saved for later re-painting. Finally the blank was capped up with a new number card holder.

I cleaned the cords and now consider it done. One might consider a complete re-paint of the D1. Nice to have the subset ringing properly again!

Some day I need to go through my extra phones in the museum - Uniphone 1s and 2s, maybe even one Uniphone 5, several 211s, 302s, N717CG, and this one, along with dozens of 500 and 2500 series sets to prepare them to sell. I probably have at least 20 black 2500 sets, all Northern Electric. Sadly when I get a chance to buy these, I can't resist it, and then can't resist fixing them up, figuring someone some day will need one, but I never get around to selling them. Perhaps I may be able to turn them into new needed phones for the displays, explosion proof set, etc. But that is for the future. When I am ready to do this, I will advertise them in the Classified section.

If anyone is desperate for one, all phones have been checked and work - let me know if you might be interested. It might give me the push I need to begin clearing out some of the excess inventory.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001