News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dennis Markham... the early years?

Started by The Operator, September 18, 2009, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Operator

Speculation has run rampant across the interwebs since the above photo was discovered. Rumor has it this is the earliest known photo of our esteemed forum leader and phone guru Dennis Markham.

Some say this is Dennis applying a his first spitshine finish on a rare two-tone Playskool Electric, while others maintain the photo shows Dennis performing a unique "taste test" for soft plastic.

Revealing fact or internet legend? We can't be sure.

But those "in the know" claim they've spotted Dennis at the local flea markets... wearing the very same woolen cap!!!

~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

Dennis Markham

Thanks Operator for revealing that photo.  I thought I had the only copy!

McHeath

That's the thing about the net, you never know who has your childhood snaps. ;)

jsowers

I have more of Dennis, but from a little older. He was selling people on soft plastic from a very early age.

In the first picture we see Dennis making his first deal on a mahogany brown with a straight handset cord. I think he talked the lady into a Mediterranean Blue 500 instead, since everything else in the room is blue. And a spring cord too, in neutral gray.

Dennis knew black was a very wise choice for the outdoors, since it doesn't show dirt and won't fade. Nothing like cooking your weenies in a fireplace and talking on the phone at the same time. How many people actually had an outdoor phone jack, besides this guy in the goofy Dad barbecue apron and matching hat?

Actually these are scans from a brochure made in 1954 to illustrate telephone convenience and it used a real home to illustrate everything. Wouldn't you like to find that home today, intact with its original phones? They had a yellow with a black dial in the bedroom, an ivory 354 in the kitchen and a dark gray with a black dial in the older daughter's bedroom. I attached the full page scans FYI.
Jonathan

BDM

I like the BBQ pic. Lord knows, I always sport a silly chef's hat along with a dandy white BBQ apron when grilling the 'dogs ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

BDM

Excuse my ignorance, but is that really Dennis as a wittle tinny baby?? ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI