News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Should I do this?

Started by Bill Cahill, February 11, 2009, 11:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I have two WE wall phones. A 1956 black with a cracked case, and, missing some parts,
and, a 70's Yellow phone.
My mother had a 60's yellow phone in the kitchen.
I don't like having the modular 70's phone in my kitchen.
Should I swithc parts from that phone to my 50's phone to make it at least look like our phone?
Or, is that a sacriledge.
The 70's phone isn't junk.
I just don't want something that late in my 50's kitchen.
What do you guys think?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

benhutcherson

In general, I'm against part swapping. To me, having a so-called frankenphone is a testament to the frugality and resourcefulness of the Bell system, and also a testament to how long lasting the telephones were(that a 1954 network and ringer could be redeployed in 1980, as in one of my telephones). For that reason, I never change date-coded parts unless I have no other option.

However, far be it from me to tell you how to treat your telephones.

Here's a more practical thought, though:

At the very least, you're going to need to locate a good old or NOS yellow hardwired handset cord. To really do it right, you'd also need a yellow G3 handset housing, and also a non-modular shell to get rid of the objectionable hole in the bottom.

By the time you've bought all of this, you could probably have spent less money on a nice '60s yellow 554. Then, you'll have another telephone to add to your collection that's just as you remembered it.

Bill Cahill

But, I can't find one!
And, the modular phone was always modular. Not convrted.
I'm against jury rigging, also, but, I can't seem to either find a 60's yellow 554, or parts to one...
Can someone help me find one?
I need it for my kitchen badly, but, I'm on a budget.
I really need that phone. I have our electric mixer. Now, I need the phone, my grandmother's electic broiler, our first toaster, our waffle iron, and, our crank meat grinder.
I also need a yellow, or red kitchen table with chairs. I have no original chairs, and, my table has seen better days.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

benhutcherson

I certainly understand the budget part.

Here's what I'm saying, however:

If I understand you right, you want to take all of the colored parts(shell, handset, dial) off of your 1970s modular telephone, and put them on the 1950s telephone.

I also understand that you don't want it to look like a modular telephone. That's all good and well, but remember that there are some big differences between these parts for a modular and non-modular telephone. The shell will have a big hole at the bottom where the modular plug is supposed to fit. The handset is going to have a modular-shaped hole in it, and isn't going to have the correct strain relief to hold a hardwired cord.

Then, you're going to have to find the correct yellow hard wired cord, which by itself will probably be $10.

If you can locate everything you need to make this look right, you're going to have spent $20-30 at least.

On the other hand, if you're patient and wait for one to come up on Ebay, you should be able to find one exactly like you want for under $20, shipped.

Bill Cahill

Yeh, I've changed my mind.
In general section someone steered me to a pricey 1962 yellow wall phone with a high BIN. I e mailed the guy, and, asked if he'd give a better BIN.
Keep your fingers crossed. Hope I get it.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

benhutcherson

Good luck-I hope that he gives you a better price. The worst he can say is no.

If this one doesn't work out, though, be patient and I can guarantee that the right one at the right price will come along.

HobieSport

That was me, Bill, who steered you to the yellow '62 554.  It looked in good shape and really close to your Mom's original phone I hope.  I don't know the seller but I also hope he gives you a discount.  Good luck! :)
-Matt

bingster

There are several very inexpensive hardwired yellow 554s up at the moment:

http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=yellow+wall&_sacat=38036&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270&_odkw=&_osacat=38036
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Thanks. I looked at them, but, most are wired completely for moulatorl
Bill Cahill

bingster

Nah, there are a few.  Here's a nice one for 5 bucks: http://tinyurl.com/c7g78q

Another for 10, but it's cord needs cleaned and baked: http://tinyurl.com/ct8o5u

One for 15 with a matching backplate, but needs a cord: http://tinyurl.com/actju8

Heck, I might get one of them for myself if you don't. 8)

( dead links 05-17-21 )
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

I bid on the   5.00  phone.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

bingster

Good luck, Bill!

For anybody else who might be looking, I just realized the $15 phone is an ITT.  (I realized as I was about to hit the BIN.)
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Bill,  I was about to bid on that phone but I won't because it has your name on it now.  Good luck!

Just a suggestion, but in my humble experience, and it may sound evil, but I find it best not to bid until the last minute.  One reason is that it's common for buyers to search for items with only one bid on them.  I guess they are assuming that someone found something worthwhile that others hadn't discovered yet.

Another reason is that any bid simply drives up the price, and the earlier the bid, the more likely a bidding war.  I used to feel guilty and sneaky about buying as a "sniper", but it's a perfectly legitimate, fair and common practice.  So I usually place a well thought out maximum bid in the last thirty seconds.

All this just saves time, keeps the prices down, and I avoid getting emotional or unreasonable.  Ebay and sellers may not like me for the sniping method, but hey, it's my way of dealing with the general madness of Ebay.  It may sound cold hearted, and maybe it is.  But getting an item at a good price warms the heart too.

Or maybe it's just in my Scottish blood.  I did tell y'all how copper wire was invented:  Two Scotsmen were fighting over a penny. ;)

BDM

Quote from: HobieSport on February 13, 2009, 01:27:23 PM

Or maybe it's just in my Scottish blood.  I did tell y'all how copper wire was invented:  Two Scotsmen were fighting over a penny. ;)

LOL.......Good one!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Thanks BDM.  And as for my part Irish blood, I learned something interesting about wheelbarrows (I actually did work as a hod-carrier and brick layer for a few years as a youth.  How Irish is that?)  Well, if it wasn't for the invention of the wheelbarrow... I might be still walking on all fours. ;)