"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Stromberg Carlson 1243

Started by Nann, July 04, 2016, 11:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nann

Hello,
I am new to the forum. Ever since watching old Black and White movies growing up and now BBC/PBS programs, I have liked vintage phones and have always wanted to have one to use.  Over the past several months I have been looking at phones and have found quite a few that I like and now have begun thinking I may end up a collector.  I read a post here where someone referred to this hobby as an "addiction".  I can see why!  One phone that I am interested in is the Stromberg Carlson 1243.  I was wondering if any one here on this forum has ever seen one in Ivory?  The only one I have seen is a photo on the www.telephonecollecting.org (Bob's Old Phones) website.  I was also wondering if perhaps they were more prone to damage and were refurbished in black instead of ivory? Or maybe they did not make as many in ivory and there just are not many around?  I look forward to hearing your answers.  Thank you.

Nann

LarryInMichigan

Nann,

Welcome to the forum.  I do not believe that the SC 1243 was made in any other color but black.  One or more of the refurbishing houses probably sold refurbished 1243s painted ivory or other colors.  The SC 1243 is a fairly common model and not difficult to find.  I see them all the time at flea markets and antiques shops, but they are almost always overpriced.  You should be able to get one for $25 or less.  The problem with these and other SC models from the period, in my experience, is that the transmitter capsules are often bad.

Happy Collecting!

Larry