Main Menu

WE 323 W

Started by LarryH, October 09, 2010, 03:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryH

What about this one?

How can you tell?

Phonesrfun

That one does have a coil and condensers so, yes, it'll work, however there is an obvious issue with the gong support that is not easily repaired without getting a replacement support.  The part that is broken off at the end is pressed into the part that it came off of.

As far as telling, the induction coil is the tubular thing with the square ends, and the condensers are the square things the terminal strip is mounted to.  That is the older style inductor.  Newer subsets have a smaller induction coil that looks like a doorbell transformer, and on the newer subsets, the condensers (we call them capacitors now-days) are smaller.

The first one you showed had no inductor.  It was simply an extension ringer.
-Bill G

KeithB

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 10, 2010, 05:59:18 PM
That one does have a coil and condensers so, yes, it'll work, however there is an obvious issue with the gong support that is not easily repaired without getting a replacement support.  The part that is broken off at the end is pressed into the part that it came off of.

I can provide a replacement ringer of the same style and era, completely intact.   ;D

KeithB

Quote from: KeithB on October 10, 2010, 06:20:58 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 10, 2010, 05:59:18 PM
That one does have a coil and condensers so, yes, it'll work, however there is an obvious issue with the gong support that is not easily repaired without getting a replacement support.  The part that is broken off at the end is pressed into the part that it came off of.

I can provide a replacement ringer of the same style and era, completely intact.   ;D
Here are pictures of the ringer I have available.  I believe it's the same era and should fit that subset, should you choose to purchase it.  The only actions I would take to use this ringer are:
a) cut and unsolder the existing (original) connections from the ringer coils, trim the wire back about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and re-solder them
b) cut off the existing (original) spade lugs, trim the wire back about 1/4 inch, and crimp on new spade lugs.

LarryH

Keith B, I didn't get that subset that I was aiming for.  Maybe just as well because I noticed it was labled a 634B.  You had said a 534 or 584 correct?

Phonesrfun

The 634 is an antisidetone version of the 534, but is also compatible with sidetone, so it would  have worked, but you are forgiven for not knowing that.  :)

-Bill G

bingster

You'll want to look for 534, 584, 634, 684, and 685 subsets.  The last three are anti-sidetone, but as Bill mentioned they'll work just fine. There are earlier subsets that are appropriate, too, but I'm not familiar enough with them to name them.

EDIT-----

I just checked, and AT&T 4566 sez the older subsets which are the equivalent of the 534A are:  212A, 212F, 295A, and 334A.  I think most of those are oak boxes.  And that's in addition to the ones in the first paragraph.  Confused yet? ;)
= DARRIN =

KeithB

Quote from: LarryH on October 12, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
Keith B, I didn't get that subset that I was aiming for.  Maybe just as well because I noticed it was labled a 634B.  You had said a 534 or 584 correct?
The nice thing is, whether it's a sidetone or anti-sidetone subset, the ringers are the same.  ;D

Sorry to hear you didn't get the subset. 

LarryH

Quote from: bingster on October 13, 2010, 12:48:24 AM
You'll want to look for 534, 584, 634, 684, and 685 subsets.  The last three are anti-sidetone, but as Bill mentioned they'll work just fine. There are earlier subsets that are appropriate, too, but I'm not familiar enough with them to name them.

EDIT-----

I just checked, and AT&T 4566 sez the older subsets which are the equivalent of the 534A are:  212A, 212F, 295A, and 334A.  I think most of those are oak boxes.  And that's in addition to the ones in the first paragraph.  Confused yet? ;)

Actually no, and thanks so much for the info.

baldopeacock

This guy appears to have a stack of 685 subsets, $40 buy it now, your choice of case colors (gray, black  or beige)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODERN-PLASTIC-TELEPHONE-RINGER-BOX-5X7-/270080894326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ee2136576

Dennis Markham

I believe that seller IS Phoneco.  If you look on their site, it may be cheaper.  You can see what they have listed here:

http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?rpage=search&category=Ring#01001

KeithB

They're $40 at Phoneco, as well.  Many are Northern Electric, many are painted, but they're in great condition.  I just purchased two of them a few weeks ago.

LarryH

Can you link to them?  I didn't see any for 40 bucks...

bingster

= DARRIN =

KeithB

Item Number RB14N
Description PLAS RING BOX 5X7 W/NETWORK

$35 + shipping/handling (about $7)

I received a Northern Electric (same as Western Electric) 685A subset in excellent condition.  If you have a preference for black, beige, or grey, you can call and ask them for a particular color.  They don't always have all three colors, but they'll tell you if they don't.  They're very nice people to deal with.  ;D