News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Color Restoration - Pink 58 WE faded handset Cord

Started by Dan/Panther, June 20, 2009, 08:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Well I finally finished going through my all matching 5-58 Pink WE 500 Phone.
I started to reassemble the phone, when I looked at the hopelessly faded Handset cord. It's so bad that the color is actually beige.
At this point  had 3 options.

1) Use the cord as is.... >:(
2) Find another Pink cord, and save this one for a future Beige Phone... ::)
3) Fix this one... :o

Guess which of the above options I chose...? ???
If you said 3, congratulations you win a Kupie Doll. :D

Below are before and after phoros of the cord, before straightening. It is now in my truck soaking up the Suns heat, even as you read this....
If anyone is interested, I will post exactly how I obtained this PERMANENT color change, inside the coils and outside the coils.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Dan/Panther

BTW, once I was set up, the process from start to finish took about 5 minutes, and about 10 minutes set up time. 5 minutes to clean up. I now have a can of the dye, that I can use over and over again.
The initial cost for the materials, is about $10.00.. Reuseable many , many , times.
Is permanent, It's into the cords surface.
and will not rub off on your hands or anything as a matter of fact. Though while doing the process, if you are not careful you can have everything around you stained, so be careful.
D/P

McHeath

Okay I give, how did you do this amazing transformation?  I've got a pink cord that could use this.

foots

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

JorgeAmely

Peroxide? Clorox Bleach? Plastics Spray paint?

Jorge

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I'm definitely interested.  I have a set of pink cords that look just like your first photo.
= DARRIN =

Steve

red spray Dy chem? reloaders use it to identify cases.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dan

Mar-Hyde Vinyl dye--red with a little white mixed in to lighten it? That's my best guess. I need to do a few pink cords too, I just can't find the vinyl dye.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

First gather up the following items.

1 Qt. (32 Ounce Can) of lacquer thinner..................$6.99
1-4 ounce can of RED Dye-Kem Layout Fluid. Graingers for about $8.00.
1- Clean glass 1 qt. jar.
2 bowls or containers, Glass, or Stainless Steel, deep enough that when you pour 1/2 of the Lacquer thinner into it, it will cover the handset cord completely.

Make sure the Handset cord is clean and dry.
1-Prepare a sink or bucket with warm water and dish soap. A source of running clear water. Do this process by a sink is really the best.
2-Pour 1/2 of the Lacquer thinner into one of the bowls.
3-Add 1 Teaspoon of the Red Dye-Kem to the first bowl of Thinner.
4- Pour the remaining 1/2 of the thinner into the other bowl.
Hold the Handset cord by the ends, and lower it into the first bowl of Red lacquer thinner. Stretch the handset cord a few time to make sure the liquid gets between the coils. Lift the cord out every few seconds until you get the shade you want.
5-Carefully lift the handset cord out of the colored lacquer thinner and put it directly inrto the bowl of clean lacquer thinner. Slosh it around for just a few seconds maybe 2 or 3.
6- Immediately place the handset cord into the warm soapy water and rinse around for a few seconds, then rinse with clean water.
7-Dry the handset cord by blowing off with compressed air, or wiping with towels. Set a side to dry.
This is a permanent color and will not rub off on anything.
8-Put both containers of lacquer thinner, Red and clear, into the spare quart glass jar for furure use. The next time you will need to obtain more clean Lacquer thinner for the rinse. You will not have to add anymore Dye-kem the next time you use the mixture.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Steve on June 20, 2009, 11:30:21 PM
red spray Dy chem? reloaders use it to identify cases.

Steve;
I use colored permanent magic markers to mark my cases.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P, PhD in Chemistry, sir, how did you come up with this recipe? Did you invent the peroxide process also?

;D ;D ;D

Jorge