News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early modular cord (Trimline) problem

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 15, 2015, 08:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I have an early modular Pink Trimline from '66 with a handset cord problem. The modular plug end on the handset is hanging out of its socket, and it won't plug back in. The cord restraint looks like it was glued back in place at one point with black gunk, but I think I separated the cord from the handset shell when I got it last year.

I'm assuming the early modular plugs don't plug in as easily as the modern ones do. I don't work with Trimlines very often, especially early modular types. Is there a special way of installing it? I heard something about a paper clip that can be inserted in the notch above the cord? I'll post a picture if someone wants one.

Thanks in advance!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

There's no trick to installing it.  It should just plug in - easily.

The paper clip (or a tool) is used to remove the cord.

See figure 7 in 502-320-200, issue 1:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2771-502-320-200-i1-220a-trimline-tl
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Hmm, that's interesting. I tried pushing it in, but it wouldn't hold. I'm assuming that means it's broken? What does it take to replace the plug?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

There should be a metal tab on the plug on the side that matches the notch for removing the plug.  If it isn't bent up enough, it might not latch.  If it is, but doesn't latch, there may be a problem with the jack.

It would help to verify which part is not working before replacing anything.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line