News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Trimphone handset cord retainer clip replacement

Started by royalbox, January 27, 2019, 07:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalbox

Are the retainer clips for the Trimphone handset cords available any more and if so, what are they called please so I can search for them? I'm in the UK so links to US sites are not much use for me.

If not, any suggestion on what to use instead would be helpful. It's for the handset end and there's not much room in there. The attached picture shows the clip on the other end of the cord but it's the same clip.

Thanks for any help.

Quote from: royalbox on January 27, 2019, 07:43:18 AM
Are the retainer clips for the Trimphone handset cords available any more and if so, what are they called please so I can search for them? I'm in the UK so links to US sites are not much use for me.

If not, any suggestion on what to use instead would be helpful. It's for the handset end and there's not much room in there. The attached picture shows the clip on the other end of the cord but it's the same clip.

Thanks for any help.

You could try asking here. Under Vintage Telephony and Telecomms thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Or here

https://groups.io/g/thg/topics

royalbox

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look. I'm not bothered if it's not original as it's unseen so other ideas also welcome.
Thanks again.

Owain

If it's like the Handset No. 3 the metal cord grip has to twist into a 'bayonet' style fitting in the case moulding

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gpo/hs3/fig%2005%20core%20filler%20hole%20new.jpg

Possibly something could be fashioned out of a steel cable tie

royalbox

Yes, it's the same type of design but smaller and with far less space inside to work with. I've attached a photo from www.samhallas.co.uk showing the handset parts. There's a plastic lip that covers where the cable comes in and the "speaking tube" shown with the cable lying on it slots in and over the lip. I did try with a plastic cable tie but there was just no room.

Thanks for the suggestion.

andy1702

That's an interesting problem. As far as I'm aware none of the people in the UK who do repro parts actually do trimphone handset cords. It's a shame they do som many useless items that are not prototypically correct but don't do the parts we actually need.

I've had a few of these where the runner bit that goes into the handset has broken so the shaped bit of the outside can spin round. My solution is usually to hold it all in place with Poundland's finest superglue, which seems to do the trick. You might need to guue the cable inside the rubber bit then glue the rubber bit to the outside of the handset.

the cable gromets for 706/746 phones are another part someone should make. Luckily I've recovered a few of those over the years.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.