"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Needed: Wiring Diagram for SC 2220BM-AD2MC Slenderet

Started by RotoTech99, April 08, 2021, 07:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a SC 2220BM-AD2MC Slenderet phone that I need a wiring diagram for, please.

I believe this is the version of the Slenderet appearing in 1983-84 Comdial brochures; but it has SC markings.

It is a full modular set dated 09-83 on the base, and 10-84 inside the handset; the dial is a electronic type with square buttons as shown in the pics, but has the older dial light set up with incandescent bulb.The handset has the modular insert and uses a 4 wire handset cord.

I believe it is dial light capable, but not having the appropriate diagram makes me reluctant to try it with a dial light transformer because I've tried them before as configured, and ended up with a partly melted connection on the flexible handset network.

I'd like to see what it would look like lit up, but with being able to verify its proper setup, I'd rather not "toast" a nice Slenderet phone.

I will gladly thank any forum member who can help me with this.

RotoTech99

Babybearjs

the wiring should be pretty much standard.... like the 500... the 2200 is only wired 1 way.... you should be able to use a WE or ITT schematic...
John

RotoTech99

No, in this case, I would need the SC or Comdial diagram to be sure.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum & Babybearjs:

I must respectfully disagree with you in this case for a couple reasons, no offence intended...

The SC diagram I do have (SC diagram 703054-400, Iss. 1) shows a white lead and a black lead associated with the dial light circuit; My set is wired as follows below:

The modular connector in the handset has 4 connections as does the modular handset jack in the base. The same goes for the line cord jack.

The black dial light lead is on (4), there is no white wire either in the handset or line cord wiring. The rest of the wiring matches the diagram I have.

That is why I'm looking for more information;the diagram is attached that I have.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Babybearjs:

Hello, I'd like to apologize for my earlier reply... I found a ITT Trendline diagram that may echo the wiring of my Slenderet... I can't say for sure until I print that ITT diagram,  but  i think it may answer my question,  and clarify what you meant.

I'm a bit skeptical when I ask specifically about something, and see a reply that seemingly  refers to something other than my original inquiry.

I don't know the part # of the SC dial in mine, but despite being electronic,  i guess it's basically the equivalent of a ITT 37 type Trendline dial.

BTW: The other difference is its buttons are square instead of round.

RotoTech99

Babybearjs

the one thing you have to remember is that a lot  of this information is lost to history. If the TCI or other sources don't have what you are looking for, then it may be gone for good... Western Electric was one of the first companies to make telephones and SC, ITT, AE, and others followed... as for schematics and other documentation.... it was a standard practice to DESTROY old material. so as things changed the information would get lost... plus the companies DID NOT publish documents to be used outside the companies unless a prior license agreement was made out... and on that note, SC was under a license agreement with WE to make the phones that were under the WE patents... so, they were basically following WE's lead... so much information has been lost over the decades that we all have to cross reference schematics when running into this issue.  its hard... I have equipment that still hasn't been restored because I don't have the information I need to put the phones back together.... I hope you are able to find the exact information you want. General Dynamics was the last company to own the SC brand....good luck with your research....
John

RotoTech99

Dear Babybearjs:

Hello, thanks for the reply... I know what you mean about the documentation, and the scarcity of it, particularly on certain manufacturers and phones.

Believe it or not, I'm used to it for the most part.

I looked at the diagram I mentioned for the ITT 2220 Series Trendline online, and I think it may very well answer my question... ITT Trendlines and Stromberg Slenderets shared a number of similarities early on.

ITT metal Trendlines base for example, had a provision to accept a P-type ringer on a 165B adapter, and the base at the end where the gong went had a second hole for that purpose..

SC's Slenderet used a mounting post in a elongated slot held by a screw for the same purpose, but it early on used a SC p-type ringer, the switch to the 21 type ringer (basically a clone of ITT's Trendline ringer) occurred.

If I ever get the "nerve up" to look closer at the SC dial I mentioned, I'll pass on the part # that should be on it; My guess is it's SC's version of ITT's 37 type dial.

I did notice the flex network instead of having SC branding was marked "C.T." probably meaning Comdial Technologies or something..

Thank You,
RotoTech99