News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RED WE306 Restoration

Started by RDPipes, August 02, 2022, 09:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I received this prewar WE306 from a friend about 27 years ago and at the time I always wanted a Ivory 302 and being it is a metal housing I painted it ivory. It came out okay but, I also removed the 426A tube and bracket and rewired it to work on the modern line. Years go by till now and I decide to bring it back to where it started except I'm changing the color to Red. Okay it may not be original but, I see it as only paint and it can be changed fairly easily, besides I have two 306's now and the other will stay black. This is for me really and not intended for resale. I'm also putting clear switch hook buttons in it and a #6 dial which came out of a badly abused gold Imperial 202. And I have to thank Dave (Poplar) for my missing tube bracket piece, Thank you Dave! Anyway, I thought you all might like to see the beginning of this project. It's still quite a ways from being finished and as I don't use automotive paint with catalyst anymore and I have no option other then to spray in high temps and humidity so I must wait for the paint to completely cure so I can rub out the orange peel and anything else that may have gotten into the paint job while spraying outside. So without further ado here are a few photos of my progress.
The first photo is of the phone before, obviously. ;D
Oh, And yes, the cordage is Red to match of course, in the small box there is a coiled cloth handset cord and a red line cord.

MMikeJBenN27

Great paint job!  It looks a mile deep!

Mike

PS:  A phone with a tube will work fine, even on today's lines.

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 02, 2022, 11:43:15 PMGreat paint job!  It looks a mile deep!

Mike

PS:  A phone with a tube will work fine, even on today's lines.

Thank you Mike, this different paint then the Red AE83 I just got done with and it layed down a lot nicer even in the heat and humdity.
Its a little embarrassing but, to be completely honest its rattle can paint. Surprising what one can do with
limited options. The automotive paint I use to use is just to expensive for me anymore, so..........

And if I remember correctly the phone wouldn't ring with the tube hooked up so instead of just taking it out of
the circuit I removed it entirely, Duh! Dave (Poplar) showed me a thread talking about wiring these the correct
way to work on the modern line and I owe him thanks for that too.

Doug Rose

Ron.....it looks great. Stellar job, I can't wait to see the finished phone...Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 03, 2022, 07:36:30 AMRon.....it looks great. Stellar job, I can't wait to see the finished phone...Doug

Thank you Doug, neither can I, LOL!

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 03, 2022, 06:20:32 AM...if I remember correctly the phone wouldn't ring with the tube hooked up so instead of just taking it out of
the circuit I removed it entirely, Duh! Dave (Poplar) showed me a thread talking about wiring these the correct
way to work on the modern line and I owe him thanks for that too.
I have a tube 500, a 501 dated 2-51, with the small OPERATOR script and the old 425A network and equalizer.  After figuring out how to wire it correctly, works/rings fine with its C3A 2-wire ringer.  These INTACT early 500s are pretty rare, as Ma Bell would convert them to the later version.

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 03, 2022, 03:44:54 PMI have a tube 500, a 501 dated 2-51, with the small OPERATOR script and the old 425A network and equalizer.  After figuring out how to wire it correctly, works/rings fine with its C3A 2-wire ringer.  These INTACT early 500s are pretty rare, as Ma Bell would convert them to the later version.

Mike
Don't believe I've ever seen a 500 series with a tube but, then again I haven't seen everything, LOL!

RDPipes

Well, I got'er finished today except for some minor rewiring but, I've done enough with'er today.
I hate working on anything with a brand new paint job, specially when it's rattle can. I doesn't ever seem to harden like the automotive paint I'm used to but, rattle can just doesn't have the smoothness and high gloss as automotive. But, I gotta a admit I don't have to deal the all the mixing and cleaning of spray guns. Anyway, here it is, for what it is.
Oh! and the speckly stuff on the back of the phone is just a reflection of the wall of the light booth, it's almost as smooth as glass.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

RDPipes

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 12, 2022, 01:15:18 PMWell, I got'er finished today...
Gorgeous!

Mike

RDPipes

Etienne

Very nice!

Are the plungers clear? They look black on your pictures.

RDPipes

Quote from: Etienne on August 12, 2022, 05:07:58 PMVery nice!

Are the plungers clear? They look black on your pictures.
Thank you sir, yes they are clear.
The black background and shadowing just makes them look a little black in the photo.

RDPipes

Well, to be honest I had a little trouble getting this 306 wired up correctly leaving the tube in circuit.
Come to find out I had changed out the 2 wire condenser for a 4 wire condenser when I took the tube out, which makes perfect sense when turning it into a 302. But, as always I hadn't remembered everything I had done to it so many years ago.
On the positive side I still had the original 2 wire condenser (2mf.) so I swapped it out again, straightened out the wiring and she's ring'en and call'en once more.  ;D