News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ben's Completed Main Custom Display. (WesternElectricBen's Collection)

Started by WesternElectricBen, February 07, 2014, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

Since last summer, I have been working on designing, building, and finish my custom display, for telephones. The display matches my custom build desks, as they use wood and industrial iron pipe, making them go together quite well. I also placed the shelves and desk, so the phones are "hidden" from most natural light, to avoid discoloration. I know that I have made a post on it before, but that was when it was mostly complete, as now it is fully completed.

I added 3 boards over my computer desk, to finish the display, and make it my main wall of old telephones. Though, what is amazing for me, I have space for telephones! Yes, I do have some on top of my dresser, but this summer I intend on building a "wall phone display" using the same boards, and staining them the same, then mounting them over my dresser, to screw the wall phones in.

But, wait, there is more! I would also like to add a shelf over the big window, (showed next to the shelf with the MM phones on,) so I can have more room for expansion, +they would be completely out of the light. And, hopefuly during spring break, I plan to take "WEBellsystemChristians" idea of using a PBX., to make a fully working display, with authentic jacks. I would run hollow molding up vertically for each shelf, with an exception of the spanning ones, and mount jacks onto that, for aesthetics and functionality. 

I also made a YouTube Presentation on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7zJA669lvw

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Beautiful collection, Ben! If you plan on getting a Panasonic 616, now is the time. There seem to be quite a few on eBay recently, at pretty reasonable prices.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 09, 2014, 06:20:01 PM
Beautiful collection, Ben! If you plan on getting a Panasonic 616, now is the time. There seem to be quite a few on eBay recently, at pretty reasonable prices.

Thanks Christian, I have to say, I was re-inspired by your display, making me want to finish mine.

Actually, I bought a Panisonic 616 a little less than a year ago for 5.99 including 5 or 6 phones, (one programming,) but 40 dollar shipping. Quite a nice system, when it is all said and done, it will be mounted under my desk.

Ben

paul-f

Great display, Ben!

It's good to see you have lots of room for more phones and some non-phone collectibles for variety.

My room has never been that neat!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on February 09, 2014, 06:41:10 PM
Great display, Ben!

It's good to see you have lots of room for more phones and some non-phone collectibles for variety.

My room has never been that neat!

Thanks so much, Paul!

I agree, I am quite fortunate, we did build the shelves and sundry, but I think for the whole display it was 600 or 800 dollars.   

Is there a place where we can see your phone display? On your website?

Ben

Weco355aman

Very nice collection. When i was young the only phones you had was HOT. And that was not because of summer. HaHa.
Phil

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Weco355aman on February 09, 2014, 07:29:43 PM
Very nice collection. When i was young the only phones you had was HOT. And that was not because of summer. HaHa.

Thanks, Phil, it is only humble compared to yours.

Ben

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

paul-f

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 09, 2014, 06:47:02 PM

You can come and visit!   ;)

There were a few general photos of part of my display room in the July 2013 Singing Wires.  They didn't show much detail, though.  I had some visitors, so had to clear a path.  As I said, it's usually not neat.

Many of my favorite phones are featured on the site.  In general, they're the ones that don't have a photo credit from someone else next to the photo.  I keep most of the interesting ones boxed, so they're in the dark and rotate those that are visible.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on February 09, 2014, 09:50:43 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 09, 2014, 06:47:02 PM

You can come and visit!   ;)

There were a few general photos of part of my display room in the July 2013 Singing Wires.  They didn't show much detail, though.  I had some visitors, so had to clear a path.  As I said, it's usually not neat.

Many of my favorite phones are featured on the site.  In general, they're the ones that don't have a photo credit from someone else next to the photo.  I keep most of the interesting ones boxed, so they're in the dark and rotate those that are visible.

Yeah, I'd like that, I take it you are in P.A.? From the pictures it looks really nice, and even neat too.

I agree, I would keep my prized positions boxed up, but then they cannot be seen, so I place them accordingly.

Ben

Dave203

Hi Ben! You have so many great phones there. I like your setup and just watched your YouTube video and the snow outside looks awesome too..God knows we get enough of that up here in Connecticut.

Are there any special phones you are looking for to add the your collection or are you just picking up what you find and like?

-Dave

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dave203 on February 10, 2014, 12:15:11 PM
Hi Ben! You have so many great phones there. I like your setup and just watched your YouTube video and the snow outside looks awesome too..God knows we get enough of that up here in Connecticut.

Are there any special phones you are looking for to add the your collection or are you just picking up what you find and like?

-Dave

Dave, thank you very much, I'm about sick of all the snow, and the - temperatures.

Mostly now, I just look for particular phones, for example I am trying to get all the colors WE made on their 500's.

Ben

Dave203

That's cool. I am also a fan of the 500 sets. As I grew up in the 80's they were pretty common and every where I went people had them. Now I really don't see them any where but around my own house. Even at second hand shops like Good Will and Salvation Army they don't have them. I guess people just aren't donating them around here anymore. But there's always eBay I guess.
-Dave

persido

Ben

Wow what a great display, you are so lucky to be able to display your collection. I have my phones all over the place, Im running out of room.
You have a great collection, Do you have any 5302's if so how many?

Scot