News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Technique to turn Black cloth Ivory?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 03, 2015, 12:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a ton of bulk cording from OPW in black, and I wanted to dye a certain length of this cording ivory. I recently found out that bleaching these black cords turns them to a standard WE brown color (which I found very useful for my 533A wall phone), but I need a pair of cords for my '50 Ivory 302; the original ones were lopped off. I would buy some from OPW in ivory, but the color might be a little off, and shipping from there is so expensive!!!

Is there a certian dye that might work, or would further bleaching it eventually turn it white?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

I can sympathize with trying to find a less expensive way to make cloth cords, but trying to turn the black cloth cord white would probably be more hassle than it's worth, probably not even doable. 

For some reason, I've had a picture of RibbonXL in my phone material folder for several years.  I can't remember why or where, but somewhere along the line I was under the impression this stuff was like a hollow tube, which would make it a good source for making inexpensive cloth phone cords.

I googled around trying to confirm that, but I don't think it is.  It's intended use is for crocheting.  I even tried calling my local fabrics store and spoke to the merchandise manager, but she wasn't very helpful.  Maybe somebody else here can confirm whether this material is a tube or not, and if not, what type of vintage phone connection can it be used for, i.e. why in world do I have this picture in my phone material folder?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

I don't think it would work, either. It is like trying to paint white over black, you cannot do it with out primer. And there is no way that I can think of to 'prime' cloth.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on April 03, 2015, 03:29:28 PM
I can sympathize with trying to find a less expensive way to make cloth cords, but trying to turn the black cloth cord white would probably be more hassle than it's worth, probably not even doable. 

For some reason, I've had a picture of RibbonXL in my phone material folder for several years.  I can't remember why or where, but somewhere along the line I was under the impression this stuff was like a hollow tube, which would make it a good source for making inexpensive cloth phone cords.

I googled around trying to confirm that, but I don't think it is.  It's intended use is for crocheting.  I even tried calling my local fabrics store and spoke to the merchandise manager, but she wasn't very helpful.  Maybe somebody else here can confirm whether this material is a tube or not, and if not, what type of vintage phone connection can it be used for, i.e. why in world do I have this picture in my phone material folder?
It seems that DSK had luck with that stuff. He used it for his AE40. It appears that it is indeed hollow.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12727.0
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 03, 2015, 08:13:09 PM

It seems that DSK had luck with that stuff. He used it for his AE40. It appears that it is indeed hollow.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12727.0

Ah ha!  I knew it must have been someone here who tried it!  Maybe I'll just go get some and try it out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e