News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale

Started by wds, September 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

What is inside the tube looks like a handset receiver module.  How do I hook it up to test it?
Dave

poplar1

Found the diagram for the modular version (S1AM Tone Ringer) in the TCI library:
Tip (green) to 3
Ring (red) to 4
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I seem to recall an experimental 500 model with an electronic warbler ringer type thing that was on eBay a few years back, same principle?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I needed to use a condensor to make it work properly - No condensor built in which seems a little odd.  Now I know what those warblers sound like.
Dave

AE_Collector

Thought it was a chime ringer until I saw the inside. Virtually the same packaging.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: wds on April 18, 2018, 03:46:41 PM
I needed to use a condensor to make it work properly - No condensor built in which seems a little odd.  Now I know what those warblers sound like.

Diagram snows a capacitor connected to 2 and 4 on the terminal board.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

This one was wired with the red wire coming off of #5, where the resistor is between 5 & 4.  So I moved the red wire to #2 and added the cap. between 4 & 2.  (there was no cap there before).  Works great now. 
Dave

wds

Here's a magneto with an older style bell on top.  Generator puts out 100 volts ac, ringer nice and loud.  Don't recognize who the maker is for the ringer or magneto.
Dave

wds

Found another Warbler.  This has different internals - has the cap and a transformer the other one didn't have.  Has the same sound to it as the other one.
Dave

wds

I've seen these before, but can't remember where.  Some sort of Operator Foot Pedal.
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds link=topic=1894thinkquote author=wds link=topic=18947.msg207477#msg207477 date=1524073874]
Does anyone know what this is?  Can't tell if it's a ringer or loudspeaker? 

It is a tone ringer. I think it is the same technology as the Morris field trial sets. It is HTF.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I don't know what that box is but it looks old, like 1890s. 

The cast iron box with the foot pedal was part of a RR dispatching system.  I think it used a 295AK subset and headset type candlestick.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Found this in a WE catalog.  The foot pedal is part of the 502A Subscribers Set.  Railway Train Dispatching Telephone Systems catalog.  Second picture is a list of the components for the 502A, and the third picture is the wiring diagram.
Dave

wds

I found the 386 transmitter and the 189 headset that's part of the 502A subscriber set - I'm sure the rest of the parts are on one of the shelves I have yet to explore. 
Dave

RB

Quote from: wds on April 19, 2018, 06:58:26 PM
Here's a magneto with an older style bell on top.  Generator puts out 100 volts ac, ringer nice and loud.  Don't recognize who the maker is for the ringer or magneto.
Those two look like test fixtures, or school science class parts...