News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FINALLY! Got a yellow WE 500 keyset off of eBay for $20!

Started by Babybearjs, February 08, 2021, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on February 18, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
When did I say they was a color?
I didn't. So John read all the comments before you jump on me.

I did read the entire topic (have been since the topic was started and continue to read it as replies appear), and yes, I used just your quote to continue the thread when I guess I should have taken the extra time to include the topic original post (and the one clarifying the sun process as being used on a gray phone), and all other pertinent replies, if there were any that referred to color and/or black and white plastics, and having read the whole topic, assumed adding to the thread's last pertinent post instead of reconstructing the entire thread in a rely (which I considered not even including a quote at all but thought that not doing a quote would leave my reply disjointed from that part of the topic that was discussing UV related changes) to those reading just the last replies and not the whole topic.

Maybe this will help. Here's the thread, all that was posted, as you would like it, I guess.

The first reference to using UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 17, 2021, 05:23:50 AM
well, it finally came today, better late than never.... really badly faded.... wonder if leaving it out in the sun this summer will help....  anyway heres what it now looks like...

And the second reference to using UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 17, 2021, 01:27:13 PM
yeah, the gray one I got last year turned out real nice... all the fading is gone and the original color is back, and all I did was to leave it on the porch and the morning sun did the rest.... hopefully, I'll get the same results.

The first reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Key2871 on February 18, 2021, 05:44:22 AM
Perhaps, but as noted some colors don't do well with direct sunlight. And when exposed can drastically change the color of the plastic.
But it's your set, do as you want.

The second reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 17, 2021, 01:39:37 PM
Just put it in the sun? No bleach or peroxide? How does that work?

The third reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 17, 2021, 01:44:08 PM
The UV rays help to restore the original color.... it will only be exposed for a few hours a day, most of the time it will be in the shade...

The fourth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: TelePlay on February 17, 2021, 02:21:33 PM
Don't think so. Do that and you will end up with an orange or maybe even a red phone.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23386.msg234513#msg234513

The fifth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: FABphones on February 17, 2021, 02:42:30 PM
It's the exposure to the sun which discolours.

I remember as a kid, Trimphones were often placed in front room windows so passers by could be impressed by how 'posh' and 'well to do' the householders were (Trimphones cost extra to rent). Those phones discoloured fast, the original colour only being visible where the handset protected the body shell from the sun. The link above has some great example comparison photos to show the effects of sunlight.  :)

Myself, I am a big fan of chemical sanding to restore colour:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168.0

The sixth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 17, 2021, 05:38:30 PM
That was my thoughts exactly. Most of the discolored phones we see or have got that way because of excessive sunlight exposure. Some have discolored due to extended exposure to nicotine or other substances but most are from UV. As already requested please post pictures to document the changes.

Here is a detailed topic on the affects of UV on plastics:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23386.0

The seventh reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Key2871 on February 17, 2021, 05:45:38 PM
Yes I do to have to agree, I've had yellow phones that were subject to UV light from the sun and it didn't do them any good. It altered the color bad and was hard to bring back.

The eighth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 17, 2021, 09:44:00 PM
well, I'll have too see.... my gray phone was outside all year and was getting the morning sun in the summer.... the porch is on my North side, so after about 10AM its all shade... I'll just have to see how it goes.... if it doesn't help, then no biggy.... theres always hydrogen peroxide and bleach.... but I'm not too worried... the phones not exactly in mint condition and It is going to be in use....

The ninth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Perhaps, but as noted some colors don't do well with direct sunlight. And when exposed can drastically change the color of the plastic.

The tenth reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: TelePlay on February 18, 2021, 08:49:21 AM

Grey is not a color. Grey is some percentage of absorption/reflection of ALL light in the spectrum which if 100% reflected is white and 100% absorbed is black. Putting a darkened gray housing in sun light may "bleach" the plastic so that it absorbs less, reflects more, of the full spectrum white light hitting is so that it does become lighter.

Chromophores are mixed into plastic to determine a specific color wavelength absorption and reflection of the rest of the white light spectrum (minus purple to get yellow) is what makes a specific color when placed in white light.

Damaging more of those color generating chromophores in the plastic will only increase the change, in this case from yellow to orange, by making the chromophores absorb more blue light along with the original purple light (to get yellow) and when the blue light is removed from full spectrum light by absorption, that will make the plastic, which looked yellow, begin to reflect light that will be darker yellow at first and then to an orange hue.

The eleventh reply questioning the use of UV to restore the color.

Quote from: FABphones on February 18, 2021, 09:37:41 AM
Although not fabricated of the same material as a WE 500, the photos below are a good representation of the effects of the sun. This phone was found abandoned on a box of tools in a shed. The box was in front of the shed window, and this is what the sun did to it.

Off topic reply more along the lines of a personal attack under one strike rule of another similar telephone site.

Quote from: Key2871 on February 18, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
When did I say they was a color?
I didn't. So John read all the comments before you jump on me.

The twelfth reply clarifying the use of UV to restore phone plastics.

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 18, 2021, 10:42:51 AM
I do not see John jumping on anybody, just adding information. You did not mention grey, the original poster did.

The thirteenth reply clarifying the use of UV to restore phone plastics.

Quote from: FABphones on February 18, 2021, 11:53:14 AM
All here reads good and helpful to me. Quotes are not jumping, merely a repeating of words as an informative reference to the follow on text.

All any of us are doing on this thread is trying to advise re sunlight and colour change - for the o.p. and, importantly, for future readers of this thread who without the additional input to this thread might think leaving their yellow phone out in the sun will lighten it. We are trying to be as accurate as possible, and pass on our own hard worked at and researched findings to help others :).

---  END OF TOPIC TO DATE  ---

That a better type of reply for you Ken? If so, I will remember to do this same kind of referencing when I reply adding information to any topics in which your are participating to help you out.

Babybearjs

good grief! you guys are really chatting! anyway, here is the final picture of the phone with the 549 yellow keypad.... this is the original color as bought....  we will see what it looks like in June... maybe it will lighten up and go from what I call Mustard yellow to the original yellow... I'm just glad to finally have the color in my collection.... now, onto searching for a matching 2564.... the first picture shows the phone with the #9 dial on it, and the second shows the #7. the #7 is back on the phone as the #9 felt wierd and just didn't quite make the phone feel original...
John

Key2871

John, that phone looks nice! Most have good stuff to offer for advice... Nuf said.
KEN

Babybearjs

John