News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful WE 293

Started by Doug Rose, April 03, 2021, 02:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up on FB for $120. It just needed a little TLC. Outside Terminal Receiver and Rattlesnake Cord are well worth the price. I love the light wood...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Doug, you find some of the best deals!
nice find...again, lol.

Doug Rose

thanks Rod.....the nickel was in amazing condition, just a wipe down with Brasso and fine steel wool. Bakelite outside terminal is in wonderful shape as well as the rattlesnake cord.

Not sure where this phone was hiding, just a little dusty. Wood is fantastic...just a very lucky find for a 100+ year old phone...Doug
Kidphone

dsk

As usual, you make them look as new.
Beautiful!
dsk

Doug Rose

Quote from: dsk on April 04, 2021, 02:23:48 PM
As usual, you make them look as new.
Beautiful!
dsk
thanks Dag....I can't take much credit on this one, it was just a little dirty....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Ok, I gotta ask whuts up with the wire on, term C is it?
and that twisted piece on the hook switch?
is that a fix for a missing push block, or something? ???
I like to see what previous techs have resorted to to "make a fix".
I have heard/seen a ton of stories, and have a ton to tell.
Seems kinda like being a Dentist, and looking in your mouth,
and seeing what somebody else did in there...
I would like to hear that one online... ;)

Witty

RB,
That's a good observation. I noticed the extra alum. wiring also but after looking at the wiring diagram, there might be a reason. The wiring diagram is a little blurred but if Doug could post a closer cleaner pic of it that might help clear up the question.
Either way it's a beautiful looking phone to have.
I like it a lot!
Ken

dsk

According to the diagram, no extra wires should be connected to C terminal. The diagram shows a booster circuit with a common capacitor for the ringer and voice circuit. 

It looks like it is something fixed to the hook switch too.

dsk

paul-f

Quote from: Witty on April 04, 2021, 10:36:58 PM
...The wiring diagram is a little blurred but if Doug could post a closer cleaner pic of it that might help clear up the question. ...

For comparison, there are several wiring diagrams in the TCI Library.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=293a
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: Witty on April 04, 2021, 10:36:58 PM
RB,
That's a good observation. I noticed the extra alum. wiring also but after looking at the wiring diagram, there might be a reason. The wiring diagram is a little blurred but if Doug could post a closer cleaner pic of it that might help clear up the question.
Either way it's a beautiful looking phone to have.
I like it a lot!
as requested
Kidphone

Witty

We may never know why someone attached those wires. I'm pretty sure they are not original to the unit. If it was mine I would remove them, but of course that's your choice.
Beautiful phone Doug!
Ken

oldguy

Great find Doug. Beautiful, congratulations.
Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Witty on April 05, 2021, 08:35:18 PM
We may never know why someone attached those wires. I'm pretty sure they are not original to the unit.
They wires may be original. Some farmers lines used barb wire fence for their first conductors.
If you used aluminum conductors 'on the same fenceposts' ,  then you have a much cleaner talk circuit  at a reasonable cost.
Just a guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: oldguy on April 05, 2021, 11:28:37 PM
Great find Doug. Beautiful, congratulations.
thanks Gary....I do appreciate it....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Jim,
You bring up a very fascinating part of early phone history.
I remember reading a publication about that some time ago.
There were many Farmer Mutual phone associations across the country around the very early 1900s that used barbed wire fence lines on their systems, especially in the Midwest and Western states. Some covering 100s of square miles and connecting many farm and home sites. Some farmers set up switches along their lines to help isolate and locate breaks in the lines. They were some the earliest party line systems and they developed their own ring systems for their area. It would cost them too much to have new phone lines installed over such long distances but helped isolated home sites stay in touch, and have emergency access connections when needed.
Most would have standard phone units and just connect to the barbed wire system from their homes or barns.
I'll try to find that and post here.
Ken
Ken