News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE H5 306?

Started by RDPipes, May 12, 2023, 07:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I like to collect the odd and not wanted from time to time and WE 306's with the different tubes is one.
I only have two at the moment and am looking for one with the 333 tube and this one (pictured below).
Now I'm assuming it's a 306 because its a H5 and, lets face it the configuration looks like one. My question is, what in tarnation is that component sitting a top the condenser? I know what it looks like but, since when does that matter. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and yes this is from an over priced eBay auction and not my photo. Thanks guys  ;)

RDPipes

Never mind I got my question answered by a another kindly gentlemen.  :)

AL_as_needed

And what good sir was the information offered by said kindly gentleman?  ;D
TWinbrook7

RDPipes

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 13, 2023, 09:27:57 AMAnd what good sir was the information offered by said kindly gentleman?  ;D

Believe it not a none member. ;)

poplar1

Quote from: RDPipes on May 12, 2023, 07:50:33 AM[W]hat in tarnation is that component sitting a top the condenser? 

Many 306s were converted to "302 Specials" by removing the tube and adding the cylindrical 1.0 uF capacitor shown in the photo. (It uses the same bracket as the tube.)

The original 306 had only the talking condenser (red to C and black to BK on dial) since with the tube, no ringing condenser is used.

The B3A is a low impedance ringer that requires a 1.0 uF condenser rather than the 0.5 uF used with a B1A or B1AL ringer in a standard 302.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on May 13, 2023, 10:14:06 PMMany 306s were converted to "302 Specials" by removing the tube and adding the cylindrical 1.0 uF capacitor shown in the photo. (It uses the same bracket as the tube.)

The original 306 had only the talking condenser (red to C and black to BK on dial) since with the tube, no ringing condenser is used.

The B3A is a low impedance ringer that requires a 1.0 uF condenser rather than the 0.5 uF used with a B1A or B1AL ringer in a standard 302.

That's exactly what I was told Dave, but I couldn't understand why they just didn't swap a 4 wire condenser for the 2 wire but, evidently time and money was behind doing it this way as I was also told. The gentleman that told me all of this was very knowledgeable and had to have worked for a telephone company or WE.
I figured it was a cap just didn't understand why at the time.

poplar1

Quote from: RDPipes on May 14, 2023, 05:55:56 AM... I couldn't understand why they just didn't swap a 4 wire condenser for the 2 wire but, evidently time and money was behind doing it this way as I was also told...

The KS- part number on the cylindrical condenser indicates that it was sourced from an outside manufacturer. So it likely cost more than a new 195A condenser (or a used 195A from a 302, 304, 354, 44x, 46x, etc.). And replacing the 2-wire 195C in the 306 with a 4-wire 195A would take about the same amount of time.

However, you need a 1.0 uF condenser for the B3A ringer. I am unaware of a 195-type condenser with 2.0 uF talking condenser + a 1.0 uF ringing condenser.

In a 534A to 634A, 634A to 634BA, or 534A to 634BA conversion, you also have to add  or replace condensers. The 534A had a single condenser for both talking and ringing, but the 634A requires two. The 634BA, if with a 302-style B1A ringer  needs a 0.5 uF ringing condenser. However, while a 195A from a 302 could have been used in a 634BA conversion, I don't recall seeing 634BAs with 195A, unless it was cobbled by a later owner (not in the W.E  repair shop)...I don't know why.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on May 14, 2023, 06:42:56 AMThe KS- part number on the cylindrical condenser indicates that it was sourced from an outside manufacturer. So it likely cost more than a new 195A condenser (or a used 195A from a 302, 304, 354, 44x, 46x, etc.). And replacing the 2-wire 195C in the 306 with a 4-wire 195A would take about the same amount of time.

However, you need a 1.0 uF condenser for the B3A ringer. I am unaware of a 195-type condenser with 2.0 uF talking condenser + a 1.0 uF ringing condenser.

In a 534A to 634A, 634A to 634BA, or 534A to 634BA conversion, you also have to add  or replace condensers. The 534A had a single condenser for both talking and ringing, but the 634A requires two. The 634BA, if with a 302-style B1A ringer  needs a 0.5 uF ringing condenser. However, while a 195A from a 302 could have been used in a 634BA conversion, I don't recall seeing 634BAs with 195A, unless it was cobbled by a later owner (not in the W.E  repair shop)...I don't know why.
You must have better eyes then I do Dave cause I see no part number on the cap.
But, none the less, as I explained to him when I converted my 306 to a 302 I only pulled the 2 wire cap and tube and replaced it with the 4 wire and had no problems with it ringing. I may have had to adjust the ringer but, it rang just the same, that was the one you helped me with by supplying me with the tube bracket part that got lost with the tube after I removed it over 20 years ago.

MMikeJBenN27

Now I know what the cylindrical cap that I have is for.

Mike

poplar1

It depends on what you are trying to do. If I were reselling it to a non-collector,  I would either add a 1.0 uF capacitor -- which is specified for a  B3A  or other low impedance ringer  since World War  I --
or add a 0.5 uF or 0.47 uF in parallel with the 0.5 uF (yellow and slate) in a 195A condenser from a 302.

For my collection, I would keep one original 306, as furnished with tube + one "conversion" done in the WE repair shop -- with the KS- 1.0 uF condenser that replaced the tube.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on May 15, 2023, 12:21:22 PMIt depends on what you are trying to do. If I were reselling it to a non-collector,  I would either add a 1.0 uF capacitor -- which is specified for a  B3A  or other low impedance ringer  since World War  I --
or add a 0.5 uF or 0.47 uF in parallel with the 0.5 uF (yellow and slate) in a 195A condenser from a 302.

For my collection, I would keep one original 306, as furnished with tube + one "conversion" done in the WE repair shop -- with the KS- 1.0 uF condenser that replaced the tube.

Not selling anything Dave and yes, that's what I wish to do if I can find one I can afford..