News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mounting the Finials

Started by FABphones, August 17, 2022, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Today's project: Mounting three of the telephone pole finials I purchased a while back:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25130

Whilst doing so thought it would be a good time to show a closer view of something usually only seen from a distance.

First image - three Finials
Second image - a section from an old telephone pole

Each finial will be mounted on a short section of pole to enable them to go nicely on display in the Phone Den.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

The length of telephone pole had been left out in all weather for some years but despite having rot to inner areas, the good parts were still pretty tough to cut through even with a power tool.

The Ants which had taken up residence have relocated themselves overnight, so today the inner rotten wood will be removed and the sections placed in the barn to dry out.

Admittedly there are better condition old poles available, and I would have preferred longer lengths, but this piece was all I could find. On the positive side, I have some nice old wooden handled Chisels to help me with the next stage, and shorter lengths means I can reach inside easier to clear out the rotten wood.

After a bit of treatment they should do the job nicely.

I'll update again on the next stage.

FABphones

To help seal the wood against further deterioration, I followed the same process as outlined by the GPO, minus the Tar:
'Creosote and Tar should be liberally applied to the cut surfaces'

Creosote as it was back then is no longer available but we make up our own version, so after their tidy up a liberal coating was applied. It takes a couple of days to cure but it does give wood a good weather protection (although these will be displayed inside).

These sections of telephone pole are now looking much more like they would have done originally.

countryman

Creosote and tar have been banned for a reason - they are both as unhealthy as they smell. I'd really suggest to display the finials outside, or to use untreated wood to mount them. Maybe your existing pole isn't as smelly as the ones I know, though.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on August 19, 2022, 03:03:01 AM...display the finials outside...

Thanks, I'll give that some thought.

Any original coating on this pole has long weathered away. As we can see on image 2 above, the pole (what remained of it) was past its best, abandoned outside for the best part of two decades until rescued for this project, it having spent decades in situ in all weathers doing its job before that.

Next, cleaning the finial metalwork prior to mounting.

These are finial size No 1.

FABphones

Poles not quite ready yet but couldn't resist trying one out for size.

RDPipes

Looking good CJ, looks like your going to have to do a LOT of filling in of those rotted out spots.
You going to cut pieces of wood to fit and then fill with something or another plan?

FABphones

Quote...have to do a LOT of filling in of those rotted out spots.

Have been giving this quite a bit of thought. From all the options (each with plus and minus points), I have decided to mix wood shavings (we have kilos of those) with PVA glue (we purchase this in 5 litre tubs), fill and pack.

The treatment I have put on these hasn't cured thoroughly yet but it will offer up a good enough (for this purpose) structure for adherence (the rotten wood has been chiseled away and removed).

Will keep the thread updated.

FABphones

The poles dried out nicely, centre holes drilled and Finials mounted. Now on display in the Phone Den.

Not many of these seen mounted on old telephone poles inside the house.   ;D

An Insulator or three would be a nice addition to these. Added to the list...

HarrySmith

Looks good CJ. Insulators are a great idea! Maybe even some with a length of cable attached. That would finish off the display nicely and non phone people might even recognize them that way.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Very Nice CJ...it sure is different!...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Thanks guys, and great idea Harry.   :)

These were a two person job to mount and hoist up into their display position. Very heavy.

I am lucky to have a family that allows telephone poles inside the house...  ;D

Am now on the lookout for something like this to add on. They do come up for sale, just not when I wanted one...

HarrySmith

Maybe not the repeater but the ceramic insulators & cable would be perfect!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"