News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE TP-6-A No Dial Tone Unless..........

Started by RDPipes, August 24, 2022, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Okay, I've had this phone for a few years in a box because I thought it was just a standard WE 302 and I have enough of them but, upon opening it up I see different, I thought it just had a AE dial on it but, come to find out its a Signal Corp Dial TA-45c. Okay, I have everything hooked as like the diagram shows (to my knowledge) and it won't get a dial tone....... until I hook either GRN or RD from the line cord to the dial terminal that the WHT receiver wire goes to and the other Rd or Grn to L1 or L2. Now it gets a dial tone, it dials out and rings but, now of course I get a horrendous loud clicking in the receiver when dialing. I've swapped one wire location on the dial finding out I had it backwards but, no help. This particular dial looks like an AE but has 7 terminals. I also had to swap out the Condenser/Cap (4 wire) because on side of it was dead. Used a (5) wire Condenser with one lead insulated. and seen no signs of change when that was done. It's not making much sense, somethings wrong. Dial bad, don't think so, seems to be doing what it suppose to do. Wired wrong.....maybe. Any help is certainly appreciated.  Oh, and remember I'm colorblind so I have to use a MM to determine which wire is which most the time. LOL!

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 24, 2022, 04:28:38 PM...Used a (5) wire Condenser with one lead insulated...
You have a 5 wire condenser?  I sold a 303C some years ago, and the buyer parted it out.  Made me wish I had kept it, as they are super rare.  Yes, they use a 5 wire condenser.  Do you have any more of those?

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 24, 2022, 05:12:58 PMYou have a 5 wire condenser?  I sold a 303C some years ago, and the buyer parted it out.  Made me wish I had kept it, as they are super rare.  Yes, they use a 5 wire condenser.  Do you have any more of those?

Mike

No I sure don't Mike, don't even remember where I got that one, was just happy I had it to replace the 4 wire one that went bad. Maybe you can clue me into how in tarnation do you use a 5 wire cap when you need pairs of two . LOL!
But, if you have a 4 wire Condenser 2.0mf and .5mf # D171658 (it's rubber insulated) I might trade you sir.

RDPipes

I just found that another member a while back had the same identical phone TP-6-A but, it was really no help except now I have more questions. It looks like he's got the WHT and BLK wires from the handset going to GN and L2? Hmm, don't know if even his was in working order. I would think it just wires up like a 302 except for having a AE dial.

poplar1

You can temporarily move the white receiver wire from W on dial to GN on induction coil. This bypasses the normally closed receiver-muting  contacts on the dial (BB and W on a WE dial) as well as the green and brown- blue hookswitch contacts

However, connecting the white receiver wire  to L2 is basically like connecting it directly across tip and ring, (except that it in series with the L1 to R primary of the induction coil)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 24, 2022, 05:12:58 PMYou have a 5 wire condenser?  I sold a 303C some years ago, and the buyer parted it out.  Made me wish I had kept it, as they are super rare.  Yes, they use a 5 wire condenser.  Do you have any more of those?

Mike

Mike, the multi-line 44x and 46x sets also have 5-wire condensers, for the same reason as 303s

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on August 24, 2022, 07:58:42 PMYou can temporarily move the white receiver wire from W on dial to GN on induction coil. This bypasses the normally closed receiver-muting  contacts on the dial (BB and W on a WE dial) as well as the green and brown- blue hook-switch contacts.

However, connecting the white receiver wire to L2 is basically like connecting it directly across tip and ring, (except that it in series with the L1 to R primary of the induction coil).
Thank you Dave but, that sounds a little confusing. Why would I want to Temporarily move a wire?
I'll try the WHT on L2 and see what happens.

poplar1

Moving the white wire to GN is one way to rule out the hookswitch and the dial as the cause of no dial tone.

No need to waste time cleaning and or adjusting dial contacts or hookswitch contacts, if they are not the source of the problem.

I was not suggesting connecting it to L2, since you already tried that. You can hear dial tone by connecting white hs to L2 because black handset is effectively connected to L1 through the closed Y and BK dual contacts and the off-hook yellow and brown-yellow hookswitch contacts. This would bethe same as hot-wiring a 202 with no subset: the red handset wire isn't even part of the circuit.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 24, 2022, 05:27:20 PMNo I sure don't Mike, don't even remember where I got that one, was just happy I had it to replace the 4 wire one that went bad. Maybe you can clue me into how in tarnation do you use a 5 wire cap when you need pairs of two . LOL!
But, if you have a 4 wire Condenser 2.0mf and .5mf # D171658 (it's rubber insulated) I might trade you sir.
I really don't remember.  Yes, I do have a good 4 wire condenser

Mike.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on August 24, 2022, 10:15:44 PMMoving the white wire to GN is one way to rule out the hookswitch and the dial as the cause of no dial tone.

No need to waste time cleaning and or adjusting dial contacts or hookswitch contacts, if they are not the source of the problem.

I was not suggesting connecting it to L2, since you already tried that. You can hear dial tone by connecting white hs to L2 because black handset is effectively connected to L1 through the closed Y and BK dual contacts and the off-hook yellow and brown-yellow hookswitch contacts. This would be the same as hot-wiring a 202 with no subset: the red handset wire isn't even part of the circuit.
Oh, Okay. I'm not as sharp as you think I am Dave, sometimes I need to be smacked in the back of the head to get my brain running again. LOL! Thank you again Dave, I'll try it later today.

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 25, 2022, 12:01:23 AMI really don't remember.  Yes, I do have a good 4 wire condenser

Mike.
I would really like the one that was originally in it but, after a good search the part number doesn't even come up anywhere. Never seen one that was entirely covered in rubber before, or at least don't remember, this not being the first Signal Crop phone I had.
If you like to trade give me a PM and we'll work out the details,no sense in using it in this phone when all 5 contacts aren't being used.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on August 24, 2022, 10:15:44 PMMoving the white wire to GN is one way to rule out the hookswitch and the dial as the cause of no dial tone.

I was not suggesting connecting it to L2, since you already tried that. You can hear dial tone by connecting white hs to L2 because black handset is effectively connected to L1 through the closed Y and BK dual contacts and the off-hook yellow and brown-yellow hookswitch contacts. This would bethe same as hot-wiring a 202 with no subset: the red handset wire isn't even part of the circuit.
Well Dave, I ran a jumper from "W" on dial to "GN" and it worked perfectly.
Only one problem I didn't know why, so I changed out the hook switch knowing I had an extra and that didn't work either.
I'm beginning to think this phone aint worth my frustration.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 25, 2022, 06:59:19 AMI would really like the one that was originally in it but, after a good search the part number doesn't even come up anywhere. Never seen one that was entirely covered in rubber before, or at least don't remember, this not being the first Signal Crop phone I had.
If you like to trade give me a PM and we'll work out the details,no sense in using it in this phone when all 5 contacts aren't being used.
Not much of a computer wiz.

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 25, 2022, 06:37:00 PMNot much of a computer wiz, but my name and address is ****
Well Mike, your going to have to learn sir cause I won't give my name and address on open forum.
Ya just don't know whose browsing the forum sir. Just click on that little yellow? thing next to the little envelope under my post count and you can PM me (Private Message).
Then we can talk back and forth and get info.  :D