News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WHATSIT?

Started by HarrySmith, March 01, 2023, 01:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Any idea what the small box attached to this D mount is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225442912741
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

buzzer  most likely for an intercom

TelePlay

The rest of the phone looks like it was wrapped with newspaper for padding, placed in a box for storage and the box ending up under water for some time before letting it dry out by itself.

I can imagine what the internal parts look like, the dial, ringer and handset element.

Has 3 bids, up to $25 including shipping, and I'm curious as to what the buyer sees in this scrap metal.

HarrySmith

I was wondering the same thing. Why $25 for a piece of junk. That's why I asked about the box, I thought maybe that was something special  :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

I recently bought one almost as bad.  Cleaned up nicely on the outside, but had to have the dial assembly re-done by Steve Siltz and replaced the E1 handset, but I have lots of spare parts.  Easy for me, but pricey for many other folks.

Mike

HarrySmith

13 bids. Sold for $53  :o  I don't see the value?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 03, 2023, 12:15:54 PM13 bids. Sold for $53  :o  I don't see the value?

Heck Harry, I needed those guys bidding on my junk, Ah I mean stuff LOL!

FABphones

How much (approximately) would it have sold for if in a nice but not fully restored condition?

Maybe it interested a buyer who likes to restore, or wants to strip it down/part it out. Or a new to phones buyer learning the market.

I've seen many a poor condition phone sell for higher than expected prices (probably paid more than I sensibly should a few times myself  :( ).

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Most people think they are  valuable antiques and list them for over $100. I think around $60 for a nice one is reasonable. For that junk one I would pay $10 :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 03, 2023, 01:10:43 PMMost people think they are  valuable antiques and list them for over $100. I think around $60 for a nice one is reasonable. For that junk one I would pay $10 :D

I think he would have had to pay me $10 to take it. LOL!

CJ, by the looks of it I think we can be assured it looks the same inside as it does outside.
Zinc doesn't handle moisture well and corrodes so there may be no saving the housing without body work.