News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Touch Tone Button Number Cleaning

Started by JB-Alert, February 10, 2023, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB-Alert

I just restored a touch tone black desk set; the dirt and grime removed to reveal a beautiful shine.  The only problem is I'm not sure how to restore the white color to the engraved dial buttons (gray buttons).  The numbers and lettering have turned to a light-yellow color.  Any ideas on how to restore them back to white again are appreciated!

TelePlay

IIRC, the WE numbers are injection molded through the buttons the same as the 500 bezel.

This has been covered on the forum.

Sanding the top of the button will restore the button and number colors.

I'll see if I can find the topic.

Don't use peroxide or bleach.

TelePlay

They are injection molded.

0000 steel wool and then Novus seems to be the best way to restore button tops.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14088.msg146860#msg146860

poplar1

What is the assembly date on the dial? The buttons on early  W.E. Touch-Tone dials were made with a  different type plastic that is prone to yellowing, according to an AT&T tech bulletin.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Quote from: jb-alert on February 10, 2023, 08:33:23 PMI just restored a touch tone black desk set...
...The only problem is I'm not sure how to restore the white color to the engraved dial buttons (gray buttons)...

Photos would be of help, including inside and the underneath.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

JB-Alert

Hello,  Thanks for the suggestions; I tried Novus and it had no effect. Ii's a 66A3A dial, and the set is dated 7/83. Waiting for more advise before I try anymore cleaning attempts.  Everything else on the phone is in excellent condition.  Here are the pictures asked for (3 attachments)...  Regards, Jim

Stormcrash

Honestly given that what you have is a pretty uncommon AUTOVON dial I would probably just leave it as is other than keeping it clean of dirt/dust/grime

TelePlay

Quote from: jb-alert on February 12, 2023, 02:28:37 PMHello,  Thanks for the suggestions; I tried Novus and it had no effect.

Novus 3 and 2 are only plastic polishing compounds used to remove the scratches left by 1,000 and 2,000 grit sandpaper. Novus will also work on marks left by 0000 steel wool.

Novus 3 is a more rigorous polish and should be used first followed by Novus 2, a finishing polish.

Novus will not change the color of anything nor will it remove discolored plastic.

Only sandpaper or steel wool will remove a very thin layer from the surface, the discolored layer, to expose the original colored plastic, which is then shinned up with Novus.

If you every look at the bezel on a WE 500 or the numbers on a key pad, you will notice the plastic is not highly polished for doing so would make it hard to see the numbers.

When I restore a discolored WE 500 bezel, I always stop at 800 grid which when polished with Novus leaves a shiny but somewhat dull surface making the numbers easier to see. The rest of the phones plastics get taken up to 2,000 grit sandpaper finishing with Novus 2.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stormcrash on February 12, 2023, 02:44:15 PMHonestly given that what you have is a pretty uncommon AUTOVON dial I would probably just leave it as is other than keeping it clean of dirt/dust/grime
Agreed. That is a very uncommon dial. I would not chance damaging it. What phone is it on?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JB-Alert

Thanks everyone for the comments;  The phone is coded 3568HTMW.  This is my first Autovon phone for my 1A2 collection; I saw it last week on eBay.  What makes the dial uncommon?  This spring I plan to cable it to my 1A2 system; from the BSPs I read, I didn't see anything special I needed to do.

HarrySmith

Autovon phones are not easy to find. Good catch! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stormcrash

Quote from: jb-alert on February 13, 2023, 10:31:08 AMThanks everyone for the comments;  The phone is coded 3568HTMW.  This is my first Autovon phone for my 1A2 collection; I saw it last week on eBay.  What makes the dial uncommon?  This spring I plan to cable it to my 1A2 system; from the BSPs I read, I didn't see anything special I needed to do.

Dials that have the 4th column of keys are not very common on their own, and then on top of that only AUTOVON sets have the keys labeled P I F FO instead of A B C D. That dial also has the early/uncommon version of the * star key and interestingly an A key in place of # pound. Not sure the story of that A key but seems pretty unusual

All in all it has a lot of uncommon features and if something went wrong there's almost no chance of replacement, plus it tells a very distinct story from a historical perspective that adds weight to careful preservation compared to a standard phone of unknown origin/history

JB-Alert

Hi, Glad you noticed the unusual * and A key.  In all the web sites I've read on Autovon descriptions, sets, etc, there was no mention of these special buttons.  Everything else about the set matches the BSP: the operable Exclusion key and the inside additional wiring for 4-wire operation.  I love a mystery and will post when I find something and when I get it connected to my 1A2 system.