News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Freq. and Dial ID inside my AE 32A14

Started by AliceWonder, March 25, 2023, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AliceWonder

First three photos are of the built-in subset. Am I correct this is a 14.5 Hz ringer frequency?

Last three photos are inside view of the dial. Am I correct this is a Type 24 and not a Type 24A36 dial?

In the first of those last three, it looks like a tan cloth wire might be broken.

Also, it looks like some of the wires are rubber not cloth. I didn't investigate what they lead to, but presumably they are from the handset cord which I suspect is not original (it's coiled rubber, not straight cloth or braided extensicord cloth)

Thanks for any assistance in the ringer frequency and dial identification confirmation / correction.

poplar1

Yes, a type 24 dial.

Looks like the ringer says
"S-L" for Straight Line. That is designed for 20~ (20 cycles per second). It may work up to 30~.

Correction: I thought it said "S-L" on the ringer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on March 25, 2023, 11:51:22 AMLooks like the ringer says
"S-L" for Straight Line.

Where do you see this "S-L"? I see 14L5 on the wiring diagram.

The ringer image shows a ringer I have never seen before but it does show the clapper attached to the frame with a flat piece of metal, a reed, instead of a pivot point, an axel, leading me toward a frequency ringer.

Does the ringer work on a normal 20 Hz POTS line? If 14.5, that's close to 20 Hz.

And what do the red markings on the ringer say, both of them?

loblolly986

What looks like "S-L" is on the ringer chassis between the coil and gong. It looks like the same or a similar ringer to that in the two-line subset Doug acquired recently: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27233.0. (In which case, it may be louder than it looks. ;))

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on March 25, 2023, 12:01:42 PMWhere do you see this "S-L"? I see 14L5 on the wiring diagram.

I thought I saw "S-L" on the ringer.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on March 25, 2023, 12:01:42 PMThe ringer image shows a ringer I have never seen before but it does show the clapper attached to the frame with a flat piece of metal, a reed, instead of a pivot point, an axel, leading me toward a frequency ringer.

According to the AE Catalog 4055 (June 25, 1934), it is not a harmonic (frequency selective) ringer.
(Screen captures from TCI Library)

TelePlay

It's a blurry photo, the chassis, but does seem to say S-L.

A simple single gong electromagnet ringer which would ring at what, a 10 Hz rate on a POTS line.

If this is a SL ringer, it's the first one I've seen that didn't use a pivot axel for clapper movement.

The images in the DR post leave much to be desired, very hard to read important detail. Can't read those image chassis numbers at all.

This is the wiring diagram cleaned up a bit but still lacking some detail. Wiring diagram states the ringers sound different, gong tone maybe.

dsk

The picture named phone08 is DC ringer.

AliceWonder

Quote from: dsk on March 25, 2023, 12:47:31 PMThe picture named phone08 is DC ringer.

Oh I read about those in the 1939 catalog. If you didn't have AC power at the PAX location, they could come equipped with a DC ringer instead.

So best bet as far as using this phone would be to not hook up the ringer and use an external ringer on the same line.

poplar1

Is the part # on the ringer chassis D-56355A? If so, that is exactly what is listed in the catalog page shown above, and the ringer should work on a POTS line, which is usually 20~

AliceWonder

dsk

Maybe I make it to complicated but could you please:
A) Measure the resistance between B and C
B) Follow the wires and see if one of them ends in a capacitor.
C) Is any wire connected so it has connection to A?

If the answer on B is yes, and C is no, and the measurement of A is higher than 600 ohms, it is much likely a single gong AC ringer. If not, it may be less secure to give an easy answer. 

G-Man

Ringers shown in Doug's 2-line subset- D56355[A].

Ringer shown in AliceWonder's photo- [D]56355A SL

Thanks to poplar1's catalogue screen shot, we can see that the ringer number in the parts list is D56355A

Since Doug's wiring diagram (thanks to Teleplay for finding it) shows the ringers are wired across the telephone lines in series with condensers, it confirms they respond to standard ringing current.

And, since the armature adjustment screw and accompanying flat spring are not electrically isolated from each other, they do not form part of a self-interrupting D.C. circuit.

countryman

Quote from: G-Man on March 26, 2023, 02:56:15 PMAnd, since the armature adjustment screw and accompanying flat spring are not electrically isolated from each other, they do not form part of a self-interrupting D.C. circuit.

That's a good point. Otherwise, it really looks much like a DC ringer (which could appear in certain PBX systems, as mentioned earlier).
I suggest an adjustment of the screw might tune the ringer for a given frequency within narrow limits?

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on March 25, 2023, 12:46:41 PMI

The images in the DR post leave much to be desired, very hard to read important detail. Can't read those image chassis numbers at all.

hope this is better
Kidphone