News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice Flea Market Find a WE NET Walnut Ringer Box

Started by Doug Rose, October 03, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet was out again this morning and came back with some really nice phones, but one stands out which is a keeper. A Beautiful Western Electric New England telephone Walnut ringer box. This is so cool and in wonderful condition. A quick wipe with Howard's and I lightly steel wooled the junk of the gongs (paint is original) and cleaned the brass up a bit and here it is. Being from MA, I really hunt anything New England Telephone and its burned right into the wood on the side. The WE decal is still in fine shape. This was a great find for me by my better half!....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Nice ringer and nicely marked, beautiful condition.
What are you going to sell to make room for it?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

Doug, Your wife is a phone magnet, simply amazing! You two are on some streak these past couple months. Congrats!

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

KeithB

Or even an older sister with similar interests and concerns?  ;)

Dennis Markham

Beautiful ringer, Doug!  I guess I'm going to have to make a drive out eat.  All the good stuff is there!!

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 03, 2010, 09:46:45 PM
Beautiful ringer, Doug!  I guess I'm going to have to make a drive out eat.  All the good stuff is there!!
Dennis....we have had a good streak this Summer, but there have been times when over and over there was nothing but broken trimlines. You take the good with the bad. This was good...Doug
Kidphone

Gary

Beautiful looking ringer box Doug.  Love the clear markings!

Doug Rose

Gary...I wish I had taken a before picture. This was an absolute mess. The posts were rusty, the black gongs had what I thought was corrosion on them and the wood was dull and lifeless. Some fine steel wool, an hour or labor and Howards. This was an amazing transformation. I am thrilled with it...Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 05, 2010, 01:26:48 PM
Gary...I wish I had taken a before picture. This was an absolute mess. The posts were rusty, the black gongs had what I thought was corrosion on them and the wood was dull and lifeless. Some fine steel wool, an hour or labor and Howards. This was an amazing transformation. I am thrilled with it...Doug

Ok, you've inspired me to take a second look at wooden subsets.  I confess I haven't really given them much attention because, well, they just looked like a square wooden box with bells.  I have one that's just been sitting here entirely ignored for almost two years.  It came with my 202.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Gary

I like the clear "New England Telephone" lettering.
Another good looking one Brinybay.
I just picked up an old wooden ringer box with no markings at all, just a "10" on the lower cabinet face behind the door.  I cleaned up the grime all over the magneto and it does ring the bells.

bwanna

very nice, doug. janet is a great "picker"  ;) i like your gongs, briny  :o
donna

Doug Rose

Quote from: bwanna on October 06, 2010, 08:36:42 PM
very nice, doug. janet is a great "picker"  ;) i like your gongs, briny  :o
thanks Donna and congrats on your new addition!!....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Doug,
I just acquired one of these boxes with the same stamp, apparently from the Freeport ME area.  

Mine has a few differences:

Nickel plated gongs with hex nuts

No decal or Western Electric markings of any kind

Stamped "2500" on top

"Poor" written in pencil on the bottom
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409