News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 301A

Started by Sargeguy, February 25, 2012, 12:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The Western Electric 301A "Fiddleback" aka "Farmer's Phone" was used by the Bell System about 1895-1907.  They are not particularly rare but aren't exactly common, especially all original in untampered with condition.  I started a thread on this phone so that I can document the restoration.  The phone is currently with Dennis HAlliworth getting it's nickel re-done. 

I purchased the phone off of eBay.  It was listed as "Antique Wall Phone".  It went through once at $175 with no bidders and was re-listed at $155 w/ $45 shipping.  I was the only bidder. The phone arrived quickly with the aforementioned packaging horror (broken OST Transmitter) but the problems were fixed with a little glue. 

The 301A is made of walnut.  There is some damage to one of the holes, and the backboard is separating and will need re-gluing.  The writing shelf is held in place by a screw in the front, not screws in the side as I had expected.  The door and box are fine except that the lock has been jimmied and the wood that holds the bolt in place has split off.  It has the patent dates and ABT markings on the side.  All of the escutcheons are present.  The finish is worn and will likely need to be stripped, but I'll see what Restor-a-Finish will do first.  There are no extra holes or other damage that I have noted.

The transmitter arm is a little corroded but still has the pinstriping around the base.  The nut is a hex nut, not the knurled type.  The transmitter cup Has early ABT patent dates and the transmitter is the 7-digit variety.  The transmitter has been monkeyed with, it was put in upside down and is missing it's springs.  The wiring is intact for the most part.  The receiver cord was toast.  The red magneto is seized and cranks really slowly.  The crank handle is bent.  The switch is the older bronze type.  The receiver is and OST type Z, and looks almost as good as new after the gluing.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Great find!

I'm eager to see how it turns out.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

This phone had gotten wet at some point.  The backboard consists of three pieces glued together.  I decided to break them along the seams and re-glue them together.  Also, one of the corner mounting holes is blown out so I need to repair that.  This will make that much easiar.  

The magneto was in sorry shape.  It must have fallen on the handle, which explains why it was bent.  The shaft was bent and wouldn't turn.   I took the magnets off and put them on another magneto that had dead magnets.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I decided to go with the Restor-A-Finish method instead of stripping the wood.  I have started to put on some of the re-nickeled parts while the backboard dries.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

So much for step by step documentation on the restoration:

The nickel plating is by Dennis Halliworth (dencins).  I had him nickel plate the binding post on the 122A
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Wow Greg!  What a beautiful job you did on this phone.  Congratulations.  That nickel really looks great.

Sargeguy

Thanks.  This one was in pretty decent shape to begin with.  I had to replace the dead ringer and I still need to rebuild the transmitter guts. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

That is one beautiful phone.

You know, they say a person who was born in the 50s or later is more likely to prefer bakelite and dial phones, due to the fact they grew up with them.

However, that is not always the case. I was born in the early 50s, and equally love bakelite and magneto sets, I think because I lived in Brockville, Ontario, and we had automatic dialing there, but summered on PEI, where most of the Island (other than Summerside till Charlottetown got automatic the following year (1953) and most of the countryside remained magneto until the mid 70's.

So. I attribute my equal love for older and more modern types to the fact I was exposed to both when I was young.

I find younger people visiting the museum are more attracted to touch-tone phones. Soon, there will be a generation attracted to only wireless and cell phones. I guess that means we should all hang on to our vintage cell phones.  In the future, they may be the truly valuable sets  :)

Anyway, I love your 301A!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Thanks.  I was born in 1967, and had never laid eyes on a wooden phone until I went  to a phone show (and I wasn't really that interested in them then).  It wasn't until I got a 295 subset in a mixed lot that I got the bug.  Now most of my working phones don't have handsets, much less TT.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 21, 2012, 05:13:57 PM
Thanks.  I was born in 1967, and had never laid eyes on a wooden phone until I went  to a phone show (and I wasn't really that interested in them then).  It wasn't until I got a 295 subset in a mixed lot that I got the bug.  Now most of my working phones don't have handsets, much less TT.  

But if you study price trends on eBay say, over the past ten years, you will see what I am saying is holding up. Prices for wood are dropping, and prices for bakelite are rising.

I see it also in the museum, whereas I see people's reactions to different ages of phones. SO I am talking about a trend, not an absolute.

Frankly, I love both - my pride and joy is my 1891 Bell Canada Workshops 3 box, long pole blake transmitter phone and my 11 Digit Strowger - the oldest and rarest of what I have, but also love all my NE and AE phones. So, I, and you are exceptions to this trend.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001