News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fingerwheel problem

Started by electric al, May 23, 2015, 08:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric al

My western electric phone  1958. had a broken finger wheel , I replaced it with a finger wheel from a Northern Electric 500.
When I dial past #8 , the finger wheel sticks  and will not return .  I removed the finger wheel and it returns fine.

I noticed that the finger wheel is not a perfect match to the broken original pieces.
the finger holes all line up perfectly but the original seems to have a raised rim where the number card is .
And also the underside is not quite the same , the centre seems to be flat , whereas on the Northern Electric finger wheel there is  a lip around the number card .

Does anyone have a spare correct finger wheel ?
Or am I doing something wrong ?

Never met a phone I didn't like !

poplar1

The fingerwheel is probably binding on the finger stop as it returns to rest. You can verify this visually or by temporarily removing the finger stop.

On a WE 7C dial, when replacing a P-19B524 "open center" fingerwheel with the later Western Electric  P11E007 (hard center) type, it is necessary to change the finger stop to a different type, or bend it so that the fingerwheel will clear.

Ironically, a  Bell Canada practice  suggests that the fingerwheels from 7C and QDB  dials are interchangeable. (See attached). The QDB dial has a P97M849 fingerwheel. In addition to the hole between 9 and 0 positions (for removing the fingerwheel), there is a hole between 3 and 4 (for removing the number card).

Does your fingerwheel have a hole between 3 and 4?

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/10268-501-162-900ca-ia-aug68-qdb-type-dials-id-and-maintenance
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Al,

I may have one in my spare parts bin. I'll have a look later today.

Doug

Sorry Al,

I don't have the one you need, mine is a NE one.