News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Numbers Matching

Started by JimNY, December 10, 2019, 02:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNY

How much value do the experienced collectors put on 'numbers matching' phones?  I've collected several number matching phones, and some that have all the 'correct' parts, but not necessarily matched manufacture dates. I even have a few frankenphones. Honestly, I get the same enjoyment from them all.  In fact in a way I love the never waste anything attitude of WE, and the notion that they could keep the same set working for 30, 40 or more years.   In the back of my mind, I'm always questioning if I should be more discriminate in my purchases.

I'd be curious to hear how others feel about this subject.

RB

Hi Jim
Personally, I don't give a rats ... if the dates match.
All of my phones, the few I have, are at least partially frankinphones.
Due to my tiny budget, I cannot afford to pay for top end phones. And, I use mine.
I have been a tech for over 45 years, and all of my work was fixing/creating things.
That does not allow you to have all matching anything, so I guess I just got used to it.
Some collectors, move to the all matching, untouched original configuration.
But do not use them, as they are MUSEUM pieces. but they pay for that too.
I would love to be able to do that too. But my collection would be VERY small.
Others here, do amazing jobs of restoring phones. and they LOOK like original pieces, very nice to look at.
When the rubber hits the road, though, It is really personal preference, and what you can afford.
IMHO

HarrySmith

Agreed.
Whatever floats your boat. I have a few phones I have restored to like new condition and some that are "as found". I guess it depends on my mood that day!
If you are talking about a rare Red 300 series phone then the dates will matter and definetly affect the value to any collector wanting that phone for his collection. If you are talking about a run of the mill black 500 it will not really affect the price unless it a 49er!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

I always prefer to have a slightly tatty phone that's in untouched original condition than an immaculate looking one that's been messed about with.
I do however appreciate that it's a very personal thing. To some, what a phone looks like on the display shelf is more important than how complete and original it is, and I can understand that too.
:)

FABphones

I am in agreement with the above. I prefer a phone as found rather than one which has been tidied up. Date matching does not matter to me. Nice if they do, not fussed if they don't. Plus, many makes/parts don't have dates.

I think if many of us were truthful and we removed the phones in our collections that were either damaged/not correct in some way, or none date matching - we would have a lot of empty shelf space in our photos!
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble