News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

For lovers of Dictograph intercommunicating telephones, here's one that's been adap... conver... bastar...., okay I'll settle for 'modified' into a lamp

Ebay and they want £65 for it!

QuoteOLD BAKERLIGHT TELEPHONE EXCHANGE

I HAVE CONVERTED THIS INTO A HALL TABLE LIGHT

HAVE THE NOSTALGA OF AN OLD PHONE AND THE USE OF A MODERN LIGHT ALL IN ONE  WILL LOOK GREAT IN A

PERIOD HOUSE OR A MODERN APARTMENT

HAS NEW WIRE PLUG AND FITTINGS HAS AN INLINE ON OFF SWITCH

so at least we know who did the dirty deed.

Edit he has another one listed, and also a 700 series phone, a fire extinguisher, etc etc etc.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

This one may have been listed above, just don't have the time to go through all the pages to see if this is a re-list or sadly another 202 Imperial that bit the dust. -- Just went through all of these pages and unfortunately this is a first time appearance of this phone so another classic did indeed bite the dust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121071737281

They want more at its BIN listed price of $134.95 plus $10.85 shipping than a working Imperial in relatively good condition.

And at that price, the seller offers no description, no shade and no bulb. However, I'm sure that marketing driven BIN price will hook a buyer quickly . . .  :D

AE_Collector

Mr. Bones

I'm quite relieved to see that Western Electric abandoned the train of thought that was evidenced by this early prototype, and settled on the mushroom phones, instead.

It looks more than just a bit unwieldy to carry on a conversation with! :D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 24, 2013, 02:37:50 AM
Very decorative ......

Terry

I think we should post lamp-phone makers (or artistes, as they consider themselves) after we convert them to lamps. See it they like it! All it would take is enough tubing to go through a hole drilled in their head and out the other end, a rubber stopper (larger for some than others), some cord, plug, and a socket! Instead of "Montezuma's revenge"  we could call it "Bell's revenge" ;D

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

southernphoneman

currently up for auction on ebay is a we 202 that has been converted to a lamp. as a collector and an owner of a 202 it is sad to see what some people do to these phones.

Sargeguy

I'm not so sure.  I spoke to my-brother in law's Dad over the weekend.  He is a retired electrician who was active in Newport, RI.  One of his jobs was maintaining the Interphone systems in the large estates in Newport.  He told me about removing "tons" of old candlestick and wooden intercoms back in the late 50s and early 60s when the clients were upgrading to modern systems.  The fate of these phones was almost always scrap.  He thought it was a shame to scrap all of them, so he would occasionally take a few home with him and convert them into lamps.  He still has two Western Electric 6 button candlestick Interphones that he has converted into lamps, the only damage to the phones are the holes in the top of the transmitter cups and the missing subset cord.  They are still in use as lamps.  I personally own a Western Electric "Hershey's Kiss" 20-B with a screw shaft and wooden bottom that was once a lamp.  Luckily the converter used a bracket rather than drilling so the phone is complete and undamaged.  Most old phones were considered junk once they became obsolete.  If it hadn't been recycled into a lamp would it still be around today?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Junior Achievement also made a lot of lamps from 202s. On the one I had, all the contacts on the dial and hookswitch had been removed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cello973

Quote from: poplar1 on February 26, 2013, 07:13:34 PM
Junior Achievement also made a lot of lamps from 202s. On the one I had, all the contacts on the dial and hookswitch had been removed.

Junior Achievement... they should be shot as well!!!  :P

What we hold dear others do not... If it were not for the ones we save, I fear they would have all been destroyed.
Vince

Greg G.

Quote from: cello973 on February 26, 2013, 11:26:49 PM

Junior Achievement... they should be shot as well!!!  :P

What we hold dear others do not... If it were not for the ones we save, I fear they would have all been destroyed.

I remember as a Cub Scout in the early 60s making ashtrays out of old 78 rpm records.  We'd bake them, fold them over a mold into a bowl shape while they were still pliable, let them cool, putty the hole and then paint them.  Now I collect old 78s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 26, 2013, 06:40:54 PM
If it hadn't been recycled into a lamp would it still be around today?

No they wouldn't be here so making them into lamps at least preserved them for parts or to leave as lamps (I have 4 AE Lamps) and if nothing else it goves us something to bicker about! But no, in most cases they wouldn't be here if they weren't turned ito a lamp.

Terry

Jim Stettler

The Telephone Pioneers converted many, many of the old D1 Imperials into lamps. Many of the imperials that you find now were former  Pioneer lamps, they easy check is if the Painted F1 handset takes F elements or G elements.

If it will accept G elements, then it is more likely to be original. If the painted handset takes F elements, then it is probably a re-conversion back into a phone.

JMO,

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

I was just looking on ebay at french telephones, inspired by THIS thread, and it seems even the Socotel S63 hasn't escaped being destroyed and turned into a lamp.... :o

TelePlay

Seems reversible, but really worth it?  All that pitting, no stampings, no dial and maybe repro parts?

All for $275 BIN?  :-\

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321087328522