"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 354 has been added to collection

Started by Dewdrop, October 02, 2010, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

This is also a recent ebay purchase.

Has not been cleaned up. Haven't found any chips or cracks on the phone. I think there is something unusual (not original) under the hood (as you sometimes call it). The handset is the odd thing.  The phone works.

What do you expert dudes and dudettes (Definition: the female version of a dude, a cool girl Usage: slang.) think about the inside shot of this 354?

Dates: 1950

I do a search on the cleaning of the housing. There are a few tiny, tiny, specs of paint.

Your comments or corrections are appreciated. Hey, that's how we all learn this phone lingo.

Debbie
Debbie

Russ Kirk

Nice phone for your collection.  The only thing I would change would be the handset cord.  Shouldn't be a problem getting a replacement.

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dennis Markham

Yea, Debbie, someone added that modular plug thing inside there.  I'm sure Oldphoneworks has a 3 conductor cord, OR contact Steve Hilsz, he may have one in good shape for less.  You could use a coiled cord, a rubber straight cord or even a brown cloth cord and it would look good there.  Although if you mount it, say in your kitchen and you plan to roam very from the phone, a long coiled cord would be the best.

Dewdrop

Thank you Dennis

$18.50 + $12 shipping isn't bad, is it?

Debbie
Debbie

Sargeguy

I love 354s.  The price seems to have been high lately, good to see you can still find one at a reasonable price.  That is a pretty early date for a 354 if I'm not mistaken, so any of the cords would be appropriate.

That plug is interesting, it looks like a modular upgrade for a four prong faceplate-type wall jack. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

Mine is coming Wed. or Thursday its from 1954
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

That IS an early date.  The transmitter is originally from 1937 too...that's an old one.  Looks like one repair date at least in 1953.

Debbie, that sounds like a reasonable price for the phone...If you see one in an Antique store they want $45 for it.  Even with shipping, this is a better deal than that.

Dewdrop

Thanks for the comments.

Kenny,

Post some pics when you receive it.

Sargeguy,

I'll open it back up in the morning and take some pics to post.

Debbie
Debbie

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

deedubya3800

Not a 354 (that I have known about) has passed through eBay recently without a bid from me. I'll have one someday. Budget's just tight right now. :)

KeithB

Great looking 354, Debbie! I just received a black coiled cord from jon@oldphones.com and the quality was very good.  You should select the choice for "F handsets" for your 354 if you choose to order from them.  They also have a 25-foot length for convenience.  :)
<10 foot cord, Item # HWHSC-BK>
<25 foot cord, Item # HWHSC-25-BK>

HarrySmith

Hi Debbie,
Very nice 354 and a decent price too! As far as cleaning I soak my phone plastics overnight in an Oxiclean mixture, After the soak the paint should come right off with a fingernail. Does not appear to have many deep scratches so a little Novus 2 or automotive rubbing compound followed by your favorite finishing product should clean it up nicely.
Congrats ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

deedubya3800,

In the ebay description it wasn't ID'd as a 354. I had to study and research it before I did any bidding.

Harry,

I have some Oxiclean and the Novus 2. That will be on my clean up "to do" list.

Debbie
Debbie