"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's left of a WE 317S

Started by Pourme, December 06, 2018, 08:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

I was in my local Antiques Shop this week and the owner had this 317S on the wall. The reciever was a bad quality plastic repo. I opened it up and it was empty inside. It did have the original 250W transmitter w/o the spit cup. I asked him what he wanted he said $50.00.

I remembered I had a Underwood typewriter I have I paid $30.00 for years ago. I showed him a picture and we traded even. The typewriter really meant very little to me. I didn't know what I was going to do with the phone (I still don't), but I would rather have it than the Underwood. 

I have begun to clean it up a bit, Howards works wonders. I'd love to hear your thoughts about what I can do with it. I thought about cleaning it up and displaying it as is, keeping a eye out for a proper reciever and spit cup. Maybe using a donor WE500 and making it work. That option leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I say it out loud. I would not defile the wood even if I did that. I could just wait for a opportunity to locate the proper working components (tastes better). 

What are your thoughts?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

I think the shop owner got the better deal.   ;)

Looks like it would make a good wall hanger, until you find the replacement parts for it.
Good luck on bringing it back from the dead.  :)

RB

Hey Benny
Long road ahead maybe?
What about a little bondo on that edge, to smooth it out some?
The box looks pretty good.

Pourme

Quote from: Duffy on December 06, 2018, 08:35:55 AM
I think the shop owner got the better deal.   ;)

Looks like it would make a good wall hanger, until you find the replacement parts for it.
Good luck on bringing it back from the dead.  :)

I figured he got the best deal. I've done business with him for a while. He sold me my chrome NE 2336 for $50.00. This time the trade went his way. Next time he has something I want maybe it will be my turn again.
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: RB on December 06, 2018, 08:59:36 AM
Hey Benny
Long road ahead maybe?
What about a little bondo on that edge, to smooth it out some?
The box looks pretty good.

I thought about that, too. I know the end result would look like it was repaired when finished. I thought I'd leave it like it is, it's a part of the phone's 102 year life's experiences, after all.
Benny

Doug Rose

Benny....they do clean up well.  I purchased this a few years ago and it was a mess. Someone gutted it but put in a network. It didn't work, but I played with it and got it working.  Repro handset but looks very cool after a little work on the wood.

Good luck, it will make a great display piece....Doug

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/d/working-western-electric-wood/6754982270.html ( dead link 04-23-21 )
Kidphone

RB

Doug Rose

Thanks RB.....all I did was strip off the lacquer, fine still wool and the Howard's restorafinish. It really brought the grains out. There was no magneto so I just rigged a WE cranked handle to a bolt. Except for the repro handset, it looks great and conversation is loud and clear. Made lemonade from a lemon...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

I also found a beater a few years back. I have slowly over the years replaced parts as they became available.  It is an ongoing and fun project. I have added a push button WE phone inside to make it functional.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Pourme

Doug, Dan...two great looking phones! Seeing your results makes me look forward to working on mine. It will be a enjoyable project!
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on December 06, 2018, 08:11:20 AM
~

we traded even. The typewriter really meant very little to me.  I would rather have it {Phone}than the Underwood. 

What are your thoughts?

Benny
Benny,
Trading an item you don't care about for an item that you like more, is a very good trade in my mind. Might as well call it an upgrade.
It is no different than selling a  phone so you can upgrade your collection with one you like better.
In this case you didn't even have to sell a phone.  The same seller also gave you a great  deal on the payphone. I think you are still on the winning end of your dealings with the seller.
Regarding the shelf, I would leave it as it is.
If me, I would buy a replacement shelf when I found one . Probably for  free- or up to $10.00 at a show. I would stash the shelf and include it with the phone for when I eventually sold the phone.
Just my thoughts,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

:o Wow! that thing is gonna need some parts! as long as the bacinet is in good condition, you can restore that with no problem. go through Oldphoneworks.com to check for parts, also Phoneco, inc. has parts too! and of course the collectors group and ebay! I wish you all the luck! I won't touch those.... too heavy and too expensive to restore.
John

Pourme

~

Thanks, Jim. You reflect my thoughts. Plus, the removal of the typewriter makes room for me to display additional phones! Maybe someone will be just as thrilled to find the typewriter as we are to find a phone. Good suggestion on the shelf as well.

You'er right, Babybearjs, it will require a lot of parts...good thing I'm in no hurry!
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 07, 2018, 02:23:40 AM
and too expensive to restore.
You can find all the restoration parts needed for a phone like this for cheap or free at a telephone show. Places like phoneco and OPW are the expensive way.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

~

I have a question.

I want a spit cup for this this 250W transmitter. It doesn't have to be a 100 year old original by any means. At this point I want it for looks, I'd settle for a repo, I'm going for display right now. The question is how do I know I'm getting the proper fit, diameter, threads, etc?  Are all WE the same?

Any pointers would be appreciated, if you have one I'd be interested.

Benny
Benny