"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Storing Phones

Started by Slal, December 07, 2016, 02:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Hi everyone,

Am sure this topic has come up before, but might need more specific terms.  "Phone Storage" yielded over 200 results...

Have too many, and need to clean out a closet, but where to put them...

Attic is only real option, but concerned that in summer-- temperature will get well into the the 100's.

---
1.) heat will damage plastic, or just UV?

2.) Disassembling & putting HS cord & line cord on top in a cardboard tray a good idea or a better way for storage?

thanks

--Bruce

Kenton K

I've only stored my 'regular'/'common' phones in the attic for the same concern about temperature. I tend to store them in flat rate boxes.

Jim Stettler

I usually wrap phones in bubble wrap and store them in heavy duty "Bankers" boxes. It is better to wrap the phones in a layer of acid-free tissue paper first. (I got a stack of it years ago from a dry cleaning shop).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It never hurts to study up on archival storage and display methods. Bubble wrap (or newspaper) and cardboard boxes aren't that great from an archival standpoint.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMo,
Jim S.

BTW Temp extremes can cause early "soft" (tenite)  plastics  to crack, Heat can cause early colored 302's to shink and crack as well.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Kenton K on December 07, 2016, 02:13:27 PM
I've only stored my 'regular'/'common' phones in the attic for the same concern about temperature. I tend to store them in flat rate boxes.

Flat rate boxes here.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Slal

Good god, those poor phones! 

So attic is not an option-- very glad I asked.   :)

I hadn't thought of a 'bankers box' but the idea of a lid & maybe more ventilation might be an idea.  (They do tend to stink if closed up in a box.  Mold an issue?)

Probably a silly question, but do you have to worry about HS & line cords messing up the soft plastic, or being paranoid? 

thanks for replies and esp. links to 'horror gallery'   

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Slal on December 08, 2016, 07:19:55 PM
Good god, those poor phones! 

So attic is not an option-- very glad I asked.   :)

I hadn't thought of a 'bankers box' but the idea of a lid & maybe more ventilation might be an idea.  (They do tend to stink if closed up in a box.  Mold an issue?)

Probably a silly question, but do you have to worry about HS & line cords messing up the soft plastic, or being paranoid? 

thanks for replies and esp. links to 'horror gallery'   

Bankers boxes work well in an arid location. The higher the humidity, the shorter the stack. I live in a high altitude desert envirement . Mold and tall stacks aren't a problem (here). The stink will always be there if the item is enclosed. It is "proof of birthright" for the phone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You aren't being paranoid. The physical laws of the Universe are out to damage your telephone collection.

Cords can damage plastic so throw a wrap or two  of (blue)acid-free paper around them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.