"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones at Disneyland

Started by KWD, January 01, 2017, 03:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWD

Happy New Year!

A few years ago, my wife and I stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland. If you've never been there, it's designed in the early 20th Century "California Craftsman" style. What makes it interesting for everyone here is that the lobby phones (at least at that time) were all vintage AEs. The lobby is a cavernous space with sofas and tables arranged in groups.

Scattered around the lobby were AE40s (you can just see one in the photo, behind the sofa on the left). They were on an internal network and you could dial any room--or any other lobby phone--by dialing the 4-digit extension number. Presumably, you could dial out as well, by going through the operator. I never tried it, so I'm not sure.

In addition to the phones in the lobby, there was a bank of AE50 wall phones in a hallway leading to the convention rooms. The phones all worked perfectly and appeared to have been authentically restored by someone who used some care. I thought it was kind of cool.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy

rdelius

While at COT we sold many AE sets to Disney for the hotel.The installers were clueless and kept taking the screws out of the back to open them.This in turn broke wires.We even had instructions on how to remove the plunger and the front screws.I put nuts on the back of the rear screws and covered the heads with tape to stop this.

Dan/Panther

this is Disneyland, Anaheim ? Or Orlando Disney World ? If it's Anaheim, I want to go check it out. Very cool.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

KWD

It's Disneyland/Anaheim. It was about 7 or 8 years ago but I doubt they would have gotten rid of them. If you go to have a look, let us know.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
               - Nietsche
Nietsche is dead.
               - Roger McCarthy