Main Menu

Auction 83: 1965 Bell System Picturephone

Started by AE_Collector, January 28, 2013, 12:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

That's odd.  Must be some kind of eBay glitch.  I found it in my watched list, clicked it, worked.  Opened several windows, added the link I provided and it comes up.

Time left: 1 Day, 9 Hours

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 02, 2013, 10:30:00 AM
That's odd.  Must be some kind of eBay glitch.  I found it in my watched list, clicked it, worked.  Opened several windows, added the link I provided and it comes up.

Time left: 1 Day, 9 Hours
Ok, I see what you mean. When I click on the bookmark at the tip of the "Contest" it brings back the message we quoted above, but if I click on the one from my "Watch" bookmark on my computer, it does still come up, so, it must be an eBay thing. It may mean one of the eBay servers is down.

Hopefully things will return to normal soon. I would hate to see Maureen cheated out of her rightful sale, or any possible bid increases because people couldn't find the auction!

For anyone having problems using their existing link, though this is very long, try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare-1965-Bell-Picturephone-Complete-with-Display-Desk-and-Power-Unit-/300853333667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460c418ea3

</end_panic_mode>

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Wow, I'm so happy and excited for you, Mo!

This has gone well beyond my imagined results, guess I'll finally make my guess.
(I hope I'm well under, for your sake!) ;D

Please, enter my guess at $22,500.00

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Greg G.

No problems here.  I'm checking it often during my breaks too on my smart phone.  I hope I'll get a route that has a break right when it ends tomorrow!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

If it ended right now....Maureen Wins! (Duh...) her guess is $15,650 and it is at $15,655.

Woke up to all the "the auction is gone" chatter. Both the original link and the one added to the first post are working for me. does the original link work for everyone now?

I had it happen once before where the link at the beginning of a different contest became corrupted somehow likely since we (I) keep editing the list of guesses. I think that one of the 12 digits of the ebaY number had vanished. But all looks okay with the original link on this auction contest.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 02, 2013, 11:44:25 AM
If it ended right now....Maureen Wins! (Duh...) her guess is $15,650 and it is at $15,655.

Woke up to all the "the auction is gone" chatter. Did you fix the link at the start of this topic/contest Dave? I had that happen once before where the link at the beginning of a different contest became corrupted somehow likely since we (I) keep editing the list of guesses. I think that one of the 12 digits of the ebaY number had vanished.

Terry
Hi Terry:

I left the original link there, but also added the alternate link below it to make sure people could view the auction. It is strange - really I can't see what was wrong with the original link, but here, and at Teleplay's also, it doesn't work. The new one which I took from my personal bookmarks seems to work all the time...

So, it people can't get in using one, they should be able to get in with the other...

The original link is still bringing the auction has been removed message here.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 02, 2013, 10:27:29 AM
Still working for me...........

www.ebay.com/itm/300853333667

Thanks, Dennis.

That link worked for me. Must have been a glitch.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on February 02, 2013, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 02, 2013, 10:27:29 AM
Still working for me...........

www.ebay.com/itm/300853333667

Thanks, Dennis.

That link worked for me. Must have been a glitch.
Still not here, though I flushed the browser cache and re-loaded before I captured the screen above. Thankfully, though, the long URL does.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Dave:

I just copied your long link, inserted it below the existing short link and then shortened it. So there are three links there now. The two short links look identical to each other. Try the second short link. All three work for me.

Terry

DavePEI

Note: I screwed up Maureen's last posting by hitting edit instead of quote, so here it it, followed by my reply.... Sorry, Maureen!
Quote from: MagicMo
I tried a different link myself this morning and it said "this posting has been removed." Not sure what that was all about. It could be that there is too much traffic on that listing! LOL! I have several hundred watchers. I  am one big ball of nerves.
Question for all you Ebayers: someone mentioned that fact that I have had no previous selling on eBay. Is this something I should address in a follow up discription? I figured most people would understand that I am a legit person who just wanted to sell this one thing on eBay. Would that deter anyone from bidding? Everyone has to have their first sale, mine just happens to a doozy. I would like to add more photos too. Can I? I want people to see more of my documentation, because it looks like what I have is instructions from Bell Labs to IL Bell for installation. Maybe someone out there would understand it better. Some of the engineers also have written publications about the picturephone and related things. The documentation itself is historic in its own right.
I'm certainly thrilled if it sold today but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.
Thank you all for being my cheerleaders. It is such a great feeling to have your knowledge and support. I consider you all my friends. Even those who's Auction guesses were zero! Lol!
All kidding aside, thank you.
Mo

Hi Maureen:

I think there is enough in the original listing to let people realize you are legit. It would be a shame to try to change it, then have something go wrong, and lose the listing as we were afraid it might have this morning.

You have come such a long way, and though my second guess was exceeded again, I'm not even going to try to change my guess, as goodness knows now how much it will increase in the end.

Absolutely amazing and wonderful, Maureen!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 02, 2013, 12:24:41 PM
Dave:

I just copied your long link, inserted it below the existing short link and then shortened it. So there are three links there now. The two short links look identical to each other. Try the second short link. All three work for me.

Terry
Hi Terry:

Nope - neither of the short links work for me - still gives the page that says the auction is removed! Anyway, it just means that one way or the other, we can all still view the auction!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Something isn't converting the short link to ebay.CA for you rather than dot com is it Dave? I have had that happen and items listed as not ship able to Canada are not even viewable.

PS: you are getting pretty good at "rebuilding" posts! I was going to do that but noticed that you were still working on it.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 02, 2013, 12:33:42 PM
Something isn't converting the short link to ebay.CA for you rather than dot com is it Dave? I have had that happen and items listed as not ship able to Canada are not even viewable.

Terry

Goodness knows - the page loading is an ebay.com error page. Just an ebay server hiccough, I guess.

Yes, I felt pretty bad about messing her last post here  up, but at least that gets her message across. Forgive me, Maureen. It was a dopey mistake!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001