News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring Two WECo B Mounts

Started by cihensley@aol.com, June 25, 2012, 07:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

The "before" picture shows the two B mounts before restoration. The B mount with the metropolitan dial plate was in remarkably good shape. At one time it belonged to Larry Wolff, as shown by a paper sticker inside the phone. I have not purchased anything directly from Larry in 10 or 15 years, so I wonder what circuitous route the phone followed as it changed hands.

To preserve the original finish I just touched-up the worn areas on the cradle. I replaced the 132B number plate with a less worn one. The finger stop, and associated screws, received new nickle plating by Dennis Hallworth.

If anyone would like the 132B plate I replaced, send me an email: cihensley@aol.com  $10 plus $5 priority mail. When I complete the B mount with the rural dial plate I will place an entry in this posting.

Chuck

wds

Dave

cihensley@aol.com

Although it may not be readily apparent from the original pictures in this posting, the surface of the rural B mount shell was deteriorated. I totally refinished it.  The E handset has a chip in the transmitter cup. I will replace it with an NOS E handset I purchased from Doug Rose. The rural plate has a notch in it, so I will replace it with a spare 132A number plate. Perhaps someone can shed some light on the notched number plate. It has the notch of a 150, but the circular raised center and back protrusions 132 number plate. Unfortunately, there is no number on the back. The finger stop and associated screws were nickel plated by Dennis Hallworth. He also recovered the base. The finger stop was converted from 2HB to 2HA, by WECo for their own inventory reasons, to match the A number plate.

I will post a picture of the completed B mount after the finish has cured for about a month and I can rub it out.

Chuck

poplar1

132-type number plates were available with the notch once 4-type dials were introduced in 1930. It would be a few more years before the short lived "celluloid" 149-type number plates replaced the notched 132-type.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the rural B mount restored and a picture of both B mounts together.

Chuck

TelePlay

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Charles.  They look like they just came off the assembly line.  The look of the Rural mount is my favorite.  The 616 Area Code (in the "before" photo) is from what once was most of west and north western Michigan.  Now a much smaller area.

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis:

I was not sure what to make of that 616 area code sticker on the old number card cover. I have my doubts that a telco in Michigan still had a rural B mount in-service when area codes were introduced.

Chuck