and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 557B on UK e-Bay.

Started by ThePillenwerfer, October 11, 2017, 11:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePillenwerfer

Bit of a rare bird in these parts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253193908308

david@london

oh yes, that is a rare visitor this side of the pond.
i notice that the fingerwheel is flush with the housing....does that mean that the dial is overly recessed?
i think i'll contact the seller and request that they post an internal photo.

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on October 11, 2017, 12:09:38 PMi notice that the fingerwheel is flush with the housing....

I think that's a camera positioning thing, it does look recessed, but the light and shadows under the fingerwheel on the dial plate say it's sat proud of the phone housing, could do with some side-on shots really... :)

poplar1

This has the D1 handset mounting, with oval base and recessed dial. Dial appears to be the original 4H with 149B (celluloid) number plate circa 1934-1937.

557B is the part number for the receiver unit.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ThePillenwerfer

Quote from: poplar1 on October 11, 2017, 12:39:36 PM
557B is the part number for the receiver unit.

I wondered about the number myself as it looks more like a 200 to me, but I claim no expertise on American 'phones.

We get lots of telephones listed as "GPO 164" which is actually the number of the handset used on the old Bakelite models.

david@london

many thanks Poplar1 and twocvbloke for the info on the recessed dial and celluloid numberplate.
i requested a photo of the inside of the phone (which was not forthcoming).

the seller stated that the internal components are present and sent an extra picture.......

Babybearjs

1 of 2 things,   1...the phone was a theater prop. 2. someone either visited or moved from the US to the UK and the phone went with them..... its not unusual to see vacationers shopping for antiques..... or as its known in the UK...  people on "Holiday"
John

david@london

the phone went for £30.00 , 7 bids - winner placed their bid on 9th oct.
a missing transmitter cover + some damage to handset, but a good buy and unusual to see in the UK.

ThePillenwerfer

It wasn't me, though it does seem like a reasonable price.  I've already got more 'phones than I can use.

HarrySmith

Around $40.00 US, not a bad price for an original phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"