News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Joined the Panasonic 616 club

Started by zaphod01, December 21, 2013, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

Panasonic 616 arrived today! $29.99 BIN. Bought 'as-is' and 'untested'. Case is in great shape and it lights up when I plug it in. Now I just need to build it a backboard so I can mount it upright and slog my way through a 231 page instruction manual.

Anyone have any 'quick set-up' tricks/advise?

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Owain

link line 6 to extension 16, then dialling ext 16 will give you an all-phones-ring internal call.

zaphod01

Do I need to find a KX-T61630 in order to program? Is there an alternative?

poplar1

Default programming:
All phones ring on outside calls
Dial 9 for first available outside line
Dial 81 to access 1st line, 82 for 2nd line, etc
Intercom (2-digit dialing between phones)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

I found a link about this thread...http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/Panasonic/KX-T%20616/ I don't know if it is what you looking for but the link can be usefull

TelePlay

Quote from: zaphod01 on December 21, 2013, 07:15:29 AM
Do I need to find a KX-T61630 in order to program? Is there an alternative?

I use the Panasonic Hybrid KX-T7130 Phone with the 6 wire line cord in line 1 of the 616 to program it. Unless you wait and get lucky, the 7130 will run you two to three times more than the 616 did.

G-Man

Don't worry if you don't have a six-conductor cord hand since a four-conductor cord will suffice given that the additional two pins are not connected in the 616.

G-Man

Quote from: Contempra on December 21, 2013, 10:01:27 AM
I found a link about this thread...http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/Panasonic/KX-T%20616/ I don't know if it is what you looking for but the link can be usefull

Popular1 has already provided that link along with others:
Quote from: poplar1 on December 18, 2013, 09:08:00 PM
The 616 and 61610 have different manuals and different programming. You can download them here:

http://www.wedophones.com/PanasonicManualsLead.htm
KX-T 616
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Installation Manual Hi Res 5247zb
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Installation Manual Low Res 5247zb
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Station User Manual 5245za
KX-T616 Station User Guide
KX-T61610 Installation & Programming & User 9893za
KX-T61610 New Features 9179za
KX-T61630 KX-T61631 Operating Instructions 5343ya
KX-T61630 Operating Instructions 5243wa
KX-T61650 Operating Instructions 5401za
Program Codes For KX-T 30810 - 61610 - 123211D All Version 3

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8733.0--Thanks to twocvbloke for the link to wedophones

zaphod01

I got it to ring through to a 302. I'm going to try multiple phones later. Gotta get honey-do's finished before I get any more phone time today.

KX-T7130 looks like my best bet.

I've read that it needs to be mounted vertically but I don't see where this would improve air flow. Anyone using there's horizontally?

TelePlay

Quote from: zaphod01 on December 21, 2013, 10:51:58 AM
I've read that it needs to be mounted vertically but I don't see where this would improve air flow. Anyone using there's horizontally?

Well, hot air rises and the convection vents are at the bottom and top of the 616. Seems most of the heat generating components are at the top of the 616 under the cover door which has no vent so using it horizontally would create a heat trap under the door and no cooling convection. The components are right in front of the top vents on the back of the 616 so it would seems that heat source would cause the air flow to rise up and out without heating anything else in the case and at the same time would be pulling cold air into the bottom vents cooling the interior of the entire case.

zaphod01

That makes sense. Vertical it will be.

Thanks

unbeldi

Quote from: zaphod01 on December 21, 2013, 01:18:41 PM
That makes sense. Vertical it will be.

Thanks
In addition, vertical makes a lot of sense from just a practical point of view. However, I do not recall noticing any heat or even warmup of these.  Perhaps in an office situation where someone is or a few people are constantly on the phone.

There is really no vent at the top or the bottom.  The vents are on the front side behind the door--not much circulation going to happen there--and the back side; not much circulation there either when mounted against a wall, even if not, the slots are behind the PCB where no heat generating components are mounted anyhow.

Heat if any would be generated not in the top, but in the bottom quarter where the power transformer and the power regulators are.  The unit is rated at 60W, IIRC, and one would probably have to have 16 proprietary Panasonic phones connected and most of them operating to even get half that. Here is the idle calculation for Panasonic phones:  13V x 0.02A x 16 = 4 Watts, and then some for the CPU and loss. Traditional analog phones draw no current when idle, so I can't imagine the whole unit drawing more than 5W when idle. I have had these on an isolation transformer with ammeter and the needle barely even moves without Panasonic phones connected, IIRC.

twocvbloke

When I had my 616 mounted in the previous house, it definitely got warm on the top of the unit even when idle, but it was mounted at mid-point in terms of the height of the room, so the ambient heat probably contributed to it's warmth...  :D

I still need to find somewhere to re-mount my 616, unfortunately this house is a bit awkward to put things up or place furniture... :-\

WesternElectricBen

Do you live in a glass cube twocvbloke?

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 21, 2013, 03:01:16 PM
Do you live in a glass cube twocvbloke?

Ben

No, just an old house built in the 1800s that wasn't designed for 21st century people... :D