News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polishing Questions (to clear up the title)

Started by ntophones, August 05, 2009, 08:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Well, I got a Ryobi polisher.
Here are some results, though I am sure Jorge could do better! I'm just not sure how, especially on the AE40 back, between the hooks. Could you guys give me some pointers?
It seems the bakelite still looks leathery--do you think that's the way it is? I'm using Novus 2 polish.
My WE 500 looks alright. Some of the gouges were very deep and it being my first phone to work on, I wasn't very brave. You can also see that the handset has issues.
Thanks for the help.
ntohpones
--nto

benhutcherson

Looks great!

Bakelite is never going to have the smooth look of thermoplastics-I think that you've done well, and that's probably the best it's ever going to look.

JorgeAmely

Excellent job on the WE500 and the AE40.

In those tight corners where the Ryobi doesn't reach, a very soft cotton towel and Novus is the only way to go. In an ABS phone, try to do tight corners in circles, otherwise, even a soft towel with Novus will leave marks on the plastic as it warms up. Once the plastic warms up a little with the towel, switch to towel only with no Novus to bring the shine out. It is all a matter of practice in order to develop a method you feel comfortable with.

Bakelite will take all the abuse (temperature rise) that the Ryobi will induce. Brand new bakelite has a wet piano like finish. If the bakelite is in good condition, it cleans up in no time at all. If damaged by contamination and years under the sun, you can get a nice decent shine, but you have to work hard at getting that out.

The back end slope of my AE40 was done by hand.
Jorge

NYFED

I have found that I have the same problem with my Kellogg 900, 925 and 700. That pitted look. I used my ryobi and (no-name) car polisher.  There is a much better sheen on them but not as good as I want. LOL! Like anyone gets the results they want. I also used mother's carnauba wax and buff to protect it. Any other advice? Looking for that wet look. Glayzit? ArmorAll? Time machine?  BTW, I used No. 7 Polishing compound on one of the phones and it took less time to clean/polish than Brasso alone.

bingster

The wet look you want is lost and gone forever, I'm afraid.  Some have had success making the problem better, but nothing will bring back the new look.  That glassy, dense black was the result of the bakelite casting process.  When the part is in the mold, an extremely thin layer of pure black binder settles on the wall of the mold.  After years of handling and exposure, that super thin layer of black gets worn away, revealing the wood flour that makes up the bulk of the bakelite.  That's why you see the brownish "dust" in the finish now. 

Incidentally, I thought this thread was going to be a quiz about Poland. ;D
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster that's funny....I thought the same thing when I read the title. 

Ntophones, it looks very nice.  I really like the PAX dial card you have in there.  Nice job!

NYFED

Bingster: That's what I thought.   :(
I was kinda daydreaming about whether or not I could get a bunch of phones, have casts made of them and then cast my own (real) bakelite phones. HMMMMM. Maybe after I won mega-millions and set up shop in a country without pollution standards! LOL

Dennis: LOL! Very funny! I was looking for this thread and querried: "Poland"....freudian slip

ntophones

Thank you all! I am so thankful for your kind words! I feel better about my phones now!
I'm waiting on some chrome handset rings from OPW. I will also be getting the acetate protector for the dial card, which I printed from Telephonearchive.com.

Say, I never thought about Poland--that was very funny  ;D

I may try to just go over the phones again later and polish them with wax.
Thanks again! Now, I only need to see if they will work in "real life!" on my phone line!
--nto

NYFED

nto: I am an avid fan of the AE line. The AE40, AE34 and AE50 are my particular favorites.  Good luck. If you run into a problems, drop me a line. Preferably a private message. I'll be notified via my phone (pda cell phone, that is!).

McHeath

I think your polish work looks good.  It's a pity that old bakelite sometimes is just plain ruined, I've had a couple of G1 handsets that simply will never look all that nice again.  You can paint them at that point, which can look okay, but it's not the same really.  I only paint phones and parts that are of little actual value.

ntophones

Well, thank you everyone!
NYFED, I, too think the AE phones are just wonderful! I wish I had bid enough on that AE34 recently!
But, I went back and hand poished, as Jorge suggested, and have followed up with some polish (since I'm not a car buff, I didn't have carnuba) like Armourall, which I read some people are using. The AE40 looks much better--I can't wait for all the chrome accents I am getting!
I will do the WE500 next. I'll probably post more pics, if that is o.k.

Thank you all so much for your help--I love this hobby! And, getting to chat with you nice people has been such a pleasure!
ntophones
--nto

jsowers

Quote from: ntophones on August 06, 2009, 11:50:43 AM
The AE40 looks much better--I can't wait for all the chrome accents I am getting!

I agree, your AE40 looks great. I grew up using one of those phones as the only phone in our house in the 1960s and I have to laugh a little now at how different they all were, for whatever reason, with the chrome accents. I think where we lived, you got whatever was in the installer's truck.

My best friend's parents had a fancy AE40 with a chrome fingerwheel and handset bands and ours only had a chrome handhold and that was it. The rest was basic black. And ntophones, yours has a chrome fingerwheel and a black handhold, the exact opposite. Ours was never in the sun, so the Bakelite survived well and it would shine up with little effort (the few times I cleaned it).

What I will never forget is how cold to the touch those chrome pieces were. And the klunk of Bakelite on metal of the handset hanging up.

And if Dennis wants to make the subject line a little clearer and less ethnic, maybe he could change it to Polishing Questions?
Jonathan

NYFED

NTO: If I was the winning bid in that auction: my apologies. This has been my white whale.  FWIW: I think the phone is covered in flat matte paint! If anyone knows anything about this anomaly, feel free to voice in.  I'm going to dip the receiver caps in paint stripper and see if this is paint.  If it is: WHEW! I'm in luck. If not......  :o  ???   

ntophones

Oh, man, will you post a picture? I don't think we are talking about the same phone, though.
What a let down!!!!!!!!
--nto

NYFED

NTO: here is a picture. I paid $62.00 for it.