News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Any time that I want to post an image to this forum or anywhere else, I first crop out the uninteresting background and then resize what is left so that the largest dimension is no larger than 2048 pixels.  This has always well for me.

I am a member of at least one forum which automatically resizes images which are uploaded.

Larry
Off Topic / Re: Water weighs 8 pounds a ga...
Last post by TelePlay - Today at 01:21:47 PM
In this image of the roof, you can see the markings of dried up dirt (inside white box) on the black roof material indicating water has pooled and evaporated, not drained, from the roof several times over it one year of being built.
Quote from: rdelius on Today at 09:53:16 AMWe built them to work, . . .

Robby,

Given one of the first images posted, I can see the black ringer wire going to L2 and the red ringer wire going to another point on the network that in some way gets back to L1 through a ring capacitor.

Where would you attach the line cord, directly to L1 and L2 or to some other point in the phone?
Two more instances of crashed thumbnails.

After cropping out the background of each imaged, their largest side was less than 3,000 pixels and each cropped image loaded without crashing.

What's interesting is that one of the image, in the 3 image attachment, was the same size as the other (1960 x 4032) and its thumbnail did not crash.

Of the two examples attached, the thumbnails that crashed both had the largest side being 4,032 pixels. And, both cropped images had thumbnails that loaded fully and loaded with the correct rotation.

Again, it is important to attach images that have been cropped and/or resized so that the largest side of each image is BELOW 3,000 pixels.
We built them to work, not just to look at ,\.Our market was not to collectors although we could build special things if requested.Telephones were sent to us for repair or restoration.
Quote from: rdelius on September 21, 2022, 11:34:52 PMI worked for COT for 25 years I rebuilt dials,repaired bakelite and asssembled telephones .This was most likely rebuilt mid 80s to early 2000s . The box is Northern Electric most likely 20s to 40s .These were built for use . Real wood and brass instead of the decorator sets with plastic and fake wood cabnets.

When you say built for real use, you mean this thing could possibly work? 🤔
Collector's Corner / Re: Red Mushroom 500
Last post by RDPipes - Today at 06:50:27 AM
Great find sir, this is the ONLY WE500 I ever really liked.
Being raised in Michigan,  and growing up with a family that ran a snowmobile racing magazine and is heavily involved in Vintage Snowmobiles,  I collect unqiue vintage snowmobiles. 

I have my Grandpas 1971 Yamaha GP396,   a 73 Raider 34TT and a 74 Arctic Cat Lynx 295 Wankel., 

First pic is my old Polcat,  on the left,  it was a 73 Arctic Cat Lynx with a big mouth hood and a 440 polaris engine with a hacked up straight pipe,  Was a rat rod and rode it till the drive cogs disentegrated at an event. had a whole 50 bucks into that sled.   The green thing next to it was an old 74 Panther VIP. hydrostatic drive,  won the butt ugliest sled 2 years in a row at an event. 

My grandpas 71 Yamaha GP396 right after the restoration.  This is the only one in the collection that is pristine.   My grandma sold it in the late 70s after my grandpa had a stroke.  Im at a swap meet and go oooh a gp396,  bought it,  pulled out the old track to put a new one in.  lookin gunder the tunnel was my grandpas initials and drivers license number and old address engraved in it.  She came back to the family

My 73 Raider 34TT 340CC twin track built right in Capac michigan.  Its a blast to ride not  so much fun to get unstuck in deep snow though :P

My 74 Lynx 295cc Wankel,  rotary motor.   This one i nabbed at a swap meet for 50 bucks.  and got it home,  bpassed the kill switch and she fired right up.  The engine is made by Sachs,  they also made a 303 wankel and rotariy motors for lawn mowers. 

And the last pic is of me on the end on the Kitty kat when i was just a young one.  Right on the track.  I still race now and then in the vintage races.  Its alot of fun. 

I also collect oddball unix systems.   I have a Tandy 6000HD which needs a new hard drive for it.  they have a SD card adapter for it but its above my pay grade lol.   Was the first computer used to send and recieve email in my county

General Discussion / Re: old Danish phone
Last post by TelePlay - Yesterday at 10:49:24 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on Yesterday at 07:27:12 PMA coil inside would indicate a solenoid type mechanism.

Have you tested the coil for continuity?

Worst case is a broken wire in the winding, hard to fix.

Best case is the end of the magnet wire, over the years of changing temperatures, has broken away from its solder point. Magnet wire is coated with varnish so only the very small cross section cut end, the cross section of the wire, is soldered to the wires going to the terminals. The varnish acts like a non-conductive tube allowing the inner metal conductor to break free of its solder point creating a short. Simply refreshing the solder joint eliminates that short.

I have had a couple of old subset ringers that had that happen to them. Re-soldering, refreshing the magnet wire joint fixed the short. This may or may not apply to your counter.

I found this text in a reply posted by me in September 2018 about magnet wire soldering issues:

QuoteAs for re-soldering the magnet wire to the ringer leads, while I was given credit for the tip, the credit really goes to Jeff Lamb, ktownphoneco, who made me aware of this when I had a 600 subset type ringer that was dead. As he explained to me, to save time when first made by WE, the magnet wire was just cut and soldered to the ringer wire. To save assembly time, the sides of the magnet wire were not stripped of their varnish or enamel so that only the end cross section of the very thin wire would bond to the solder, make the joint. Over time, with temperature changes, the magnet wire within the solder joint would shrink in length and after time could cause that very small cross section of the magnet wire to break free from the solder leaving the magnet wire inside of the varnish or enamel coating tube insulating it from the solder. Re-soldering such a joint would again bond the magnet wire with the solder and the ringer wire creating a near resistance free circuit.

Collector's Corner / Re: Red Mushroom 500
Last post by SUnset2 - Yesterday at 10:36:36 PM
You lucked out.  That was a great deal.  You should post it in Find of the Month.  These were made in all the pre-1957 colors and the post-1957 colors.  It will be very difficult to get all the colors; some are quite rare.