News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic KX-T7030 & 616 Help

Started by Fabius, January 24, 2015, 04:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I received my Panasonic KX-T7030 in the mail today. It is dead on ext 11 through ext 18 and works fine on ext 19 through ext 26. Regular phones both rotary and touch tone work fine on all exts. I checked the manuals and see anything that helps (ay least to me). Help please.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

oh, too bad.  The phone has to be connected to the first port for programming.

The first item to check is to measure the voltage across the outer wire pairs of the jacks.  The voltage should be 13 to 14 volts.

The digital electronics in these systems is divided into two groups of ports, 1-8 and 9-16 (+10 for extension numbers for version 2&3, or +20 for version 3--or the other way around [that was for version 1, the KX-T616]).
It has separate chips for these two groups.   I'll have more thoughts later, after we know what's up with that voltage.  I suspect it's nil, since you say they phone acts dead.

twocvbloke

Definitely sounds like there's an issue with the electronics that control 11 to 18, could be that sticky goo again though... :)

unbeldi

Which system version do you have?   If it is version 3, there is a circled 3 on the silver label, V2 doesn't have a marking.

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on January 24, 2015, 05:31:56 PM
Which system version do you have?   If it is version 3, there is a circled 3 on the silver label, V2 doesn't have a marking.

I have the 3 in a circle.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

hmm,  if the power supply for the digital subsystem fails it should take out both station group equally.
So, there is perhaps power present on jacks 1-8.  Do you have a voltmeter?

Beyond that, the next major possibility appears to be a bad data processor for ports 1-8.  The unit has four processors, essentially, plus the cross-point switch:  main system CPU, and subsystem CPU before the two data processors which directly interface to the station ports.

But you are saying that a traditional telephone work alright on those ports...   Hook state condition is recognized by the data processors, I think. So that would mean it works.

I don't recall whether the 7030 telephone has LEDs for the state of other lines.  When you connect the phone to, say, port 26 (last), does it show by an LED on one of the buttons whether other phones are active, on a call?     If so, does it show when an analog phones is in a call on one of the bad ports?
Oh, it seems it can't do that, it doesn't have enough buttons/lights.
Well, it CAN do that, but it has to be programmed.  So please try to see if the default settings work.

It seems to me, someone else had the exact same problem.  I don't recall whether it was here, or off-line.

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on January 24, 2015, 06:27:13 PM

I don't recall whether the 7030 telephone has LEDs for the state of other lines.  When you connect the phone to, say, port 26 (last), does it show by an LED on one of the buttons whether other phones are active, on a call?     If so, does it show when an analog phones is in a call on one of the bad ports?   Oh, it seems it can't do that, it doesn't have enough buttons/lights.

It seems to me, someone else had the exact same problem.  I don't recall whether it was here, or off-line.

The 7030 sees extensions if they go off hook. A light for that ext lights. And when an extension dials 9 and gets a co line that shows up on the 7030 also, a light come on for the ext and co line..

Hopefully someone who has had this problem will post.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

ok, this sounds very promising.  I think both data processors are ok.

Please let me know if you have the equipment to measure voltages.  It may be a good time to open the box, and look at the internal condition.  It's also not too hard to pull the first large circuit board out to look underneath.

[from what I recall, that other case had no resolution, ASFAIK, unfortunately]

unbeldi

After opening the case, the large top layer board contains all circuitry for the station ports, including the two data processors in the lower left hand corner.

It may look a bit bewildering, but it's all quite well organized.  In my picture I outlined the functionality and show the two groups of port  circuits with their associated data processor.

On the left-hand side are visible the group of six power fail relays that connect each CO line directly to the first six station ports.

Fabius

I have a voltmeter but it's at our house in Michigan. I'll see if I can borrow one. As long as it works on the 9 - 16 extensions I can live with it. Can I program the 616 with the KX-T7030?
Thanks for the excellent picture of the main board. I'll open up the 616 and search for goo or anything obvious.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Quote from: Fabius on January 24, 2015, 08:09:48 PMCan I program the 616 with the KX-T7030?

You can but it has to be on Extension 11, and given that Extension 11 is not working, it's not possible at the moment... :)

Fabius

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 24, 2015, 08:11:15 PM
Quote from: Fabius on January 24, 2015, 08:09:48 PMCan I program the 616 with the KX-T7030?

You can but it has to be on Extension 11, and given that Extension 11 is not working, it's not possible at the moment... :)

OH NO! Do all sets that can program the 616 have to use ext 11? Can any of them use any other exts? In my case 19 - 26.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Bad news indeed. On the good side is the fact that I can live with the default programming. On the bad side I can't program the date and time.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on January 24, 2015, 08:54:17 PM
Bad news indeed. On the good side is the fact that I can live with the default programming. On the bad side I can't program the date and time.

Many can live with the default, indeed.   System time is only nice for the LCD phone.
One really useful aspect of the configuration is that one can define ring groups, to select the stations that ring when using multiple CO lines, so that not all phones go off in concert.

I have good feelings still about your set. In time we may figure out why those ports don't have data.  Every time I look at the circuits, I learn more about these.

unbeldi

When you do open it up, please pay particular attention to this spot in the picture.   This is a power transistor for a constant current source that is unique—I believe—to only the first eight station ports.  It directly powers the data modulation circuit that drives only the proprietary phones, on pin 1 of the station modular jack.

Something I picked up today from your trouble report.  Look for the usual, breakage of leads, goop (as we have come to cherish it), or the unusual as well of course.