News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic KX-T7030 & 616 Help

Started by Fabius, January 24, 2015, 04:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Fabius on January 24, 2015, 08:54:17 PMOn the bad side I can't program the date and time.

I believe I programmed the date & time on my 616 before I got my KX-T7130E phone using a touchtone phone, although I can't recall how I did it, must peruse the instructions to see how...

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 24, 2015, 11:29:28 PM
Quote from: Fabius on January 24, 2015, 08:54:17 PMOn the bad side I can't program the date and time.

I believe I programmed the date & time on my 616 before I got my KX-T7130E phone using a touchtone phone, although I can't recall how I did it, must peruse the instructions to see how...

I haven't tried this myself, but I have notes:

With TT-phone on port 11, dial:
   77  <hour 2 digits> <minutes, 2 digits> 0/1 (for AM/PM)  #
hangup.

E.g. if time is 11:40 PM:

7711401#

twocvbloke

That's it!! I just found it on the following link (refers to the UK version so,  Ext. 11 is Ext. 21), seemed to work on my 616 as the system held the time until I got the T7130e... ;D

http://www.htcnetworks.co.uk/Panasonic%20KXT%20206,%20308,%20616,%201232,%207000.htm

And boy is that T7130 they have expensive... :o

Fabius

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 24, 2015, 11:44:42 PM
That's it!! I just found it on the following link (refers to the UK version so,  Ext. 11 is Ext. 21), seemed to work on my 616 as the system held the time until I got the T7130e... ;D

http://www.htcnetworks.co.uk/Panasonic%20KXT%20206,%20308,%20616,%201232,%207000.htm

I tried it with a TT set and it doesn't work. Do I have to set the date at the same time?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on January 25, 2015, 12:51:00 PM

I tried it with a TT set and it doesn't work. Do I have to set the date at the same time?

I have no information that the date can be changed in a similar way.  This dialing sequence is different than what needs to be done on a Panasonic LCD phone.  As far as I can recall, I haven't tried this method. It could well be that this only worked on the version 1 models, or only on a subset of models later.  The version 1 had several differences, including the station numbering, a 25-pair telco jack.

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on January 25, 2015, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: Fabius on January 25, 2015, 12:51:00 PM

I have no information that the date can be changed in a similar way.  This dialing sequence is different than what needs to be done on a Panasonic LCD phone.  As far as I can recall, I haven't tried this method. It could well be that this only worked on the version 1 models, or only on a subset of models later.  The version 1 had several differences, including the station numbering, a 25-pair telco jack.

You know... I am changing my mind.  I think I have tried this method of dialing 77 to change the time myself, without success.  This is why I have my notes, but I didn't record a result. There is however, an application memo from Voicesonic, specifying this method in about as many words... and they claim it being good for the KX-T61610, albeit using a PT phone by pressing the Intercom button without lifting the handset.

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on January 24, 2015, 11:12:33 PM
When you do open it up, please pay particular attention to this spot in the picture.   This is a power transistor for a constant current source that is unique—I believe—to only the first eight station ports.  It directly powers the data modulation circuit that drives only the proprietary phones, on pin 1 of the station modular jack.

Something I picked up today from your trouble report.  Look for the usual, breakage of leads, goop (as we have come to cherish it), or the unusual as well of course.

I have verified that this transistor (and the one adjacent) is only used for the first eight station ports. It is somewhat of a puzzle to understand why the feature only exists on the first eight ports, but the second eight ports use a slightly differing station interface circuit for the data/power lines to the PT telephones.

My confidence is fairly high that this transistor or its feed circuitry is the culprit here.  I don't see any other points of interest that would cause your symptoms (at least until this one is checked and excluded).  The transistor is still available online, it's a 2SB1015, for a few dollars.  A few measurements of the potentials on the legs of that transistor might reveals the condition.

poplar1

Setting system clock from KX-T7130 set at ext. 11, as shown in Station User Guide: (Installation Manual for KX-T61610)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on January 26, 2015, 09:20:41 AM

My confidence is fairly high that this transistor or its feed circuitry is the culprit here.  I don't see any other points of interest that would cause your symptoms.  The transistor is still available online, it's a 2SB1015, for a few dollars.  A few measurements of the potentials on the legs of that transistor might reveals the condition.

Thanks. It's been a long time I've worked on a pcb at the component level.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on January 26, 2015, 10:27:45 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on January 26, 2015, 09:20:41 AM

My confidence is fairly high that this transistor or its feed circuitry is the culprit here.  I don't see any other points of interest that would cause your symptoms.  The transistor is still available online, it's a 2SB1015, for a few dollars.  A few measurements of the potentials on the legs of that transistor might reveals the condition.

Thanks. It's been a long time I've worked on a pcb at the component level.

Fortunately, this one will be fairly easy to work on. The transistor is large and has thick leads where it is easy to get to and touch with the test points of a voltmeter.  Don't feel obligated to rush into it.  I will probably have more info what to expect on the pins of this part.

Each station port of the system has on its data loop pair an "overload protection" switch (transistor) and a signal from each port is fed into one of the processors.  Somehow the constant current source may be controlled from the CPU, perhaps to shut the port group down if the signal is on.  I am still not certain about this though.
But perhaps it would be good to examine each RJ11 jack on the first group with a magnifier to make sure that there is no shortage between pins. Sometime modular jacks develop such problems from careless insertion or removal of plugs,  or from defective plugs. Perhaps the overload protection circuitry is shutting down your ports when the unit is turned on.

I have one unit—actually that is the unit pictured here—that had some strange corrosion on the board around the jack and on the pins inside, causing the two adjacent ports to fail. (the fifth port from left is marked in the board view earlier). Cleaning solved the problem.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on January 26, 2015, 10:17:25 AM
Setting system clock from KX-T7130 set at ext. 11, as shown in Station User Guide: (Installation Manual for KX-T61610)

Poplar1 is the usual good detective of details... lol...  and thanks.  It is interesting that the 7130 station manual seems to be the only one that mentions this feature.  Not even in the 7030 manual is it mentioned. I never really looked at this manual before in detail. So, since the 7130 apparent was the last phone added for the KX-T line, I am wondering whether this feature required a late firmware version that most of us don't have.

The 7130 manual is actually not part of the Installation Manual, someone bundled those manuals in the PDF file.  I have taken these bundles apart for my use.

twocvbloke

Quote from: unbeldi on January 26, 2015, 09:08:43 AMYou know... I am changing my mind.  I think I have tried this method of dialing 77 to change the time myself, without success.  This is why I have my notes, but I didn't record a result.

I just tried the 77 code on both my 308 and 616 using my grey BT Viscount 9515AR on Ext.21 with my T7130E connected to another port (28 on the 308 and 32 on the 616) to observe it's display, and dialling 7712341# set the clock to 12:34 PM, so the code does work...

I have to ask though, was your system switch set to "Set" or "Program"? I had my two set to Program to accept the time, but Set wouldn't do anything (cos it's set!!), so that makes a difference... :)

unbeldi

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 26, 2015, 11:41:09 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on January 26, 2015, 09:08:43 AMYou know... I am changing my mind.  I think I have tried this method of dialing 77 to change the time myself, without success.  This is why I have my notes, but I didn't record a result.

I just tried the 77 code on both my 308 and 616 using my grey BT Viscount 9515AR on Ext.21 with my T7130E connected to another port (28 on the 308 and 32 on the 616) to observe it's display, and dialling 7712341# set the clock to 12:34 PM, so the code does work...

I have to ask though, was your system switch set to "Set" or "Program"? I had my two set to Program to accept the time, but Set wouldn't do anything (cos it's set!!), so that makes a difference... :)

Ah...   I think you found the answer to this puzzle.   For 'programming' (configuring really)  the unit also must set to to 'program'.

Fabius

Setting the clock by using 77 on ext 11 worked. I didn't have the program switch on before. How can the date be changed using a touch tone phone?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

I don't think the date can be set by a touchtone phone, if it can (presumably another code, 78 perhaps?) I don't know how myself...