News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Just found an old Leich catalog in the members only section of the TCI website, so that should help me identify some of the phones I am researching.

But any input is still appreciated!

Nick

kleenax

Can't remember who owns this one, but it is the ONLY Ivory "no grip / indentations" that I have ever seen. Anyone else know where this one resides?

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

I associate that picture with Gary Goff but it is possible that he had something to do with the picture while not actually owning the phone. But, I suspect that it is his. Remind me to visit a Gary and his phones one day!!!

Terry

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

Gary's collection is certainly impressive and well displayed!

I doubt I have any of the white AE40s with no indentations...but there are a lot of boxes I have not opened yet...

I am trying to strike a balance between putting way too many photos of misc phones and related parts up on this thread and not posting things that might be of interest to folks out there. Also, I am trying to do some of my own research, but it is a bit overwhelming with so many things being unfamiliar and unmarked.

So, please bear with me and if something should be moved to another thread, such as attempts at identifying specific receivers, please let me know.

======================
One of the wooden phones appears to be a Stromberg Carlson 896, to which someone has added a dial. The dial is not connected at the moment.  I have not been able to locate a schematic that covers adding a dial to a 896 - does anyone know of a source for one?

Also, there are no markings on the dial and it is a smaller diameter than what seems standard. Any ideas on whose dial it might be? The mounting it is in looks very well designed, not like a one-off.  Were there retrofit kits made to do this? I can post photos of the dial if folks are interested.

=======================

The next item has a stamp that appears to be, "E.C. Sep 1953" on the bottom of the unit. It appears to be a wiring box, but done up to be decorative so it must have been expected to be on a desk or table top. The terminals are marked with L1,L2,A,B,C and J.  Any guesses?

Nick

Nick in Manitou

With this lot came a number of receivers - some attached to phones and some loose. Some are marked and many are not. I have tried to do some research to figure out which is who, but there are a number of questions I have not found answers to yet.

One of the receivers has patent dates on the top of the receiver and the edge of the cap is marked with 143 AW. It has a 75Z element in it. The shape of the top of the receiver looks different than what I see in the old W.E. catalog, but I have the impression from some of what I have read on the forum that some variations might have looked different but had the same model number. Is that correct? Does this receiver have a mismatched shell and cap?

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Next receiver question...

One of the receivers has a brass shell with a brown cap. The diaphragm is stamped with what looks like, "Baldwins No. 12". I have seen that Nathaniel Baldwin did patent a telephone receiver and that he went on to create radiotelephone receiver sets, but have have not found any photos or other references to telephone receivers with the Baldwin name associated.  Does anyone recognize this unit?

It arrived with the cap cracked and a wavy ring between the cap and the diaphragm. I am not sure that the wavy ring belongs there, as it seems to limit the ability of the threads of the cap and the shell to overlap very much.

I can't find any identifying markings other than the stamp on the diaphragm anywhere on the assembly.

kleenax

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 06, 2018, 06:51:40 PM
Next receiver question...

One of the receivers has a brass shell with a brown cap. The diaphragm is stamped with what looks like, "Baldwins No. 12". I have seen that Nathaniel Baldwin did patent a telephone receiver and that he went on to create radiotelephone receiver sets, but have have not found any photos or other references to telephone receivers with the Baldwin name associated.  Does anyone recognize this unit?

It arrived with the cap cracked and a wavy ring between the cap and the diaphragm. I am not sure that the wavy ring belongs there, as it seems to limit the ability of the threads of the cap and the shell to overlap very much.

I can't find any identifying markings other than the stamp on the diaphragm anywhere on the assembly.

Yep; British receiver; GPO. Used on their wall phones and candlesticks.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

I associate the Brass shells with British phones as well.

Don't worry too much about posting too many pictures or asking too many questions even though you may have been able to search and get the answer yourself. Many here enjoy the experience through pictures along with you (and we don't have to find room for them all!) and you've got a load of work to do identifying things that we're hapoy to help you with.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 06, 2018, 06:00:09 PM

======================
One of the wooden phones appears to be a Stromberg Carlson 896, to which someone has added a dial. The dial is not connected at the moment.  I have not been able to locate a schematic that covers adding a dial to a 896 - does anyone know of a source for one?

Also, there are no markings on the dial and it is a smaller diameter than what seems standard. Any ideas on whose dial it might be? The mounting it is in looks very well designed, not like a one-off.  Were there retrofit kits made to do this? I can post photos of the dial if folks are interested.

=======================

Dial is North Electric.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tubaman

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 06, 2018, 08:56:45 PM
I associate the Brass shells with British phones as well.

Terry

The shell is brass but it would originally have had a black ebonite covering on it.
Black ones are very hard to find as most have either faded to brown or been lost altogether as in this case.
Also note the dent in the edge of the cap - this was to allow the exchange howler to be heard if the receiver was left standing on a desk rather than being put back on-hook following a call.
:)

FABphones

I have one of these on my candlestick, complete with ebonite. I can add a pic if that helps.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Nick in Manitou

Thanks everyone for the input...it really helps!

With regard to the brass GPO receiver, is the wavy ring that I found between the cap and the diaphragm correct? It does seem to make it a challenge to thread the cap on.

Thanks,
Nick

tubaman

The couple that I have do not have the wavy bit. The diaphragm sits straight on top of the coils and the cap holds the whole lot together.
I have seen other diaphragm type receivers that do have, and need, a spacer but not the GPO type.