News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

making the paper trail....

Started by Babybearjs, June 26, 2019, 02:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

so.... you are called out to a residential service call and you come across this system that is totally commercial and you find these papers to help you understand the layout.... does it make any sense? Plus you find all the jacks in the house are RJ-45's...
John

RB

Yup, pretty common
The colored RJ sockets are for differentiation.
that means things like, Local network port, Direct link to router, 1st, 2nd net connection, IP phone connection etc...
you decide which color means what.
The binding posts, are for composite video, or audio.
The simple Rj jacks are prob pots lines???

HarrySmith

Nice job. Makes it pretty simple to figure what goes where. I bet a lot of guys wish they had that in all their trouble calls. Maybe just tidy up all those wires a bit? Zip ties or maybe some wire loom? Just to make it look a little nicer. You can even get the loom in colors to match the blocks if you want to go that far!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

yeh... when I started out with this project years ago.... I had started with a 464 GC phone... not being modular, I wanted to put a cord on it that would be modern and was unpluggable. the RJ21X was made in such a way that the accessories were too cumbersome and I settled with the RJ45... Plus, they don't make the RJ21X in a flush mount version... if they had, I probably might have gone that way if the parts were easy to use, but is wasn't... anyway... when I discovered that the phones were going to use 3 cables, that's when I started to create the system. started out with baseboard jacks and went from there... 15 years later.... and I've finally got it down pat! I just wish I had known all this stuff years ago... it would have been a lot faster! But now.... if I die or sell the house... who ever gets it is in for one fun ride! they won't have to really do anything.... providing they even use it!
John

Key2871

Well that's kind of the idea I had in my last house. Except all the blocks were used as 25 pair cat3 cable, but the covers being different colors told me what station the blocks serviced. Came in handy for trouble shooting.
So you're using RJ45 for all your key phones..
Good idea color coding each port, helps you get the correct plug in the correct port.
KEN

Babybearjs

yeh, and then I have the cables on the phones numbered. so, 1 would go to blue and so on... I'm trying to make the system futureproof and user friendly. If I ever sell the house, I'll pull all of the key equipment but leave all the 66 blocks. that way the next person can set it up the way they need to... if they need to... (I hate wireless at times!)
John

Key2871

Yea, I've known of a couple homes in the area that were set up as home offices, and the key phones and equipment were left behind. Then the new owners want it out, but they try to get premium prices for it.
But I wait a few months and the prices comes way down.
KEN

Babybearjs

yeh, we don't have that problem around here, people are too poor to afford fancy phone systems... I got a call from a sprinkler (irrigation) company. they found my business card at the local electronics thrift store and wanted to get more info on what they had... they went from analog to digital (VOIP) and they had an old ITT 501 series KTS... 2560 series phones and offered them to me, but the timing was bad and I passed on the offer. I might be able to get something like it later, but for now the system I have works for me!
John

Key2871

Well if that company had an old system they weren't going to use anymore, those are considered worthless to other telephone companies that sell systems. If you played your cards right you may have had it given to you.
Because I've had several old key systems given to me, because I say that's old stuff nobody services any longer, so it's worthless. Nine times out of ten people will ask Well if it's worth anything to you, just take it save them a trip to the dump.
KEN

Babybearjs

we have a place here called the "Reuseum" and its a electronics surplus store. stuff like that is welcome there and it profits electronics education. they teach kids how to make things in the electronics spectrum (computers, Etc.) they love getting old phone equipment for teaching purposes, plus sales... its really a neat place to shop. I used to shop places like this back in California... In the Bay area, they were all over the silicon valley! (miss those days!) 
John

Key2871

That sounds cool, wish they had a place like that around my neck of the Forrest.
My local dump up till this year had a "sawp" shop, where people could leave things still usable and others could take.
I called it the mountain mall, because boy people came out of the woods to come gather. But sadly it's no more, because others would take junk their and leave it.
KEN

MADhouseTelephone

MADhouse Telephone has a lot of wire, and I use forms like this to keep track of things. Originally handwritten, they are now all computer generated.
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone