News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the color of this WE four pronged plug?

Started by allnumbedup, June 08, 2021, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

This WE 283b four pronged plug seems to be an earlier version of a square plug with ears because it has a brown bakelite base and brass prongs. Holding it in my hand,  I would have thought this plug  to be Rose Beige, however when I found its color on a color wheel, it is a very different color than one I had previously posted below which matched Sherwin Williams color #3163.  This one is almost purple (inside and out) and matches Sherwin Williams # 6045--nowhere close to the other I posted. (I do not have access to a Pantone color wheel so photographed it next to my SW wheel.)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24573.msg243799

Does anyone have an idea on its true color?
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Key2871

Looks to me light gray. Don't remember the WE color number.
Light Gray was a common color found on fairly sets.
KEN

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

allnumbedup

Thank you for your input. Here is another picture of the plug, next to a WE light grey faceplate (-61) and a wall plate.  I thought the wall plate to be olive grey -49 because it matches other WE phone accessories I have found.  It has no color number.

FABphones

Quote from: allnumbedup on June 12, 2021, 08:45:54 PM
...Here is another picture of the plug, next to a WE light grey faceplate (-61) and a wall plate...

What does it look like on the inside where it has had no exposure to sunlight. Could you add a photo.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

allnumbedup

same weird mulberry grey color and a spider web (the green on the outside is wax I missed after buffing the exterior). thanks for asking. good idea

Babybearjs

I Noticed you had some color chips to try to match the original color.... Paint color is like phone numbers, always changing... so todays colors aren't yesterdays colors....  you need to always go with the manufacturers original color codes...
John

paul-f

Quote from: allnumbedup on June 12, 2021, 08:45:54 PM
Thank you for your input. Here is another picture of the plug, next to a WE light grey faceplate (-61) and a wall plate.  I thought the wall plate to be olive grey -49 because it matches other WE phone accessories I have found.  It has no color number.

For much of it's production life, the 283-type plugs were available in -49, -50 (ivory) and -54 (brown). They were also available for years in 500-series set colors to match the color-coordinated mounting cords, so beige would be a possibility.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line