News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

QAR-GLAYZE Wood & Bakelite Polish

Started by Doug Rose, February 06, 2022, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone ever try this? I have never seen it, came up in a radio search by mistake.

I thought I would give it a try....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133346478270
Kidphone

FABphones

This item seems to be only available via eBay (one seller). Possibly purchased in a larger container and decanted into a smaller plastic bottle. I'd like to know exactly what the bottle contains - no MSDS / label or instructions re how to use. The label it does have is basic and appears home printed.

The price is also expensive for a small 2oz bottle.

What does the buyer feedback say about it (doesn't show in my location).

Let us know what results you get with it.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

good feed back...Doug

Excellent Product!
QAR-GLAYZE Wood & Bakelite Polish - High Luster Shine For Your Antique Radio 2oz (#133346478270)

as described
QAR-GLAYZE Wood & Bakelite Polish - High Luster Shine For Your Antique Radio 2oz (#133346478270)

A++++++++++++++++++++

Great Shopping Experience and good price for a hard to find item
Kidphone

FABphones

I suspect the product name is purely one made up by the seller (QualityAntiqueRadios) as it does not seem to be mentioned anywhere, no MSDS (so no information re hazardous ingredients, toxicological properties, physical data, fire/explosion data, first aid measures...  etc etc) online, nothing.

Having checked this out a bit more, online radio site threads more or less say the same. One seller. No MSDS. Cannot find a manufacture. No details of what the product is.

This comes across as a bulk bought renamed product. Rebranded (unbranded).

Members here have tried and tested many products, so it may well be something we already know of and have discussed in more detail.

This is an area which particularly interests me, having drawers and shelves of tried and tested products. The seller's name for it calls it both a glaze and a polish, it can't be both.

Glazes temporarily fill in minor scratches, whilst polishes can remove scratches permanently.

I would try it out on a spare part first. My thoughts are if a polish it will give the same result as any off the shelf car polish which would cost much less. A glaze will deteriorate, especially with handling, and requires a thorough prep before application.

Another ad says use on plastic too. There are many plastics I would not choose to glaze, certainly not a clear plastic as exampled, and a polish can scratch so would need to be very fine.

Novus springs to mind as a better option. Cheaper too.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Pricy stuff.

rdelius

there was a product called glazit used by telephone refurbishers .it was a spray product by magnloa chem co

FABphones

Quote from: rdelius on February 07, 2022, 11:35:55 AM
there was a product called glazit used by telephone refurbishers .it was a spray product by magnloa chem co

Thanks for that info Robbie.

A good example of why a product information label is essential.
Thankfully well displayed on this product.

GLAYZIT
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Easy to use siliconized polish that contains a unique blend of premium waxes and restorative oils. Cleans, revitalizes and preserves finished surfaces against normal wear. Produces a brilliant shine and a hard protective finish that adds surface luster

Doug Rose

I finally got some time to try this. It is FANTASTIC! I tried it on my Green North which had dulled over time.

You just wipe it on and that is it! You see a huge difference right away. A little goes a LOOONG way.

Make sure you get it all as you can see a little miss on the left ear (all fixed now!)

I used a small piece of old T shirt. Once it gets wet, you can continue to do other sets without adding more to it.

It tries quickly to shiny finish. I also tried it on my copper sets to see if it will keep them a Rosy Brass color.

I got two bottle for $25 delivered. I think it was a deal!!!...Doug

Kidphone

FABphones

Sounds and looks very much like a French Polish (Shellac) but without having it in hand I couldn't confirm.

I, and others, have asked the seller of the re-branded/re-named product you purchased a few questions but received absolutely no reply.

Did your purchase come with any MSDS label or product info?

—-

A few years ago I purchased a phone from a French seller. When it arrived I could tell it was coated, and he admitted it was, but he never confirmed the product.

As a result I experimented with Shellac. I have a couple of bottles and the results appear very similar. The item must be cleaned thoroughly or the grime will be sealed in.

rdelius

I found that Johnsons paste wax worked well also

Doug Rose

Thick white liquid, a little goes along way. No Markings on bottle. Does a really nice job and is very easy to apply.

Just make sure you get the whole area, as you will see where you missed after.

Cloth is still moist and not hard like it was sealing it...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 02, 2022, 02:13:33 PM
Thick white liquid, a little goes along way...

...Just make sure you get the whole area, as you will see where you missed after...

...Cloth is still moist and not hard like it was sealing it...

Totally intruigued by this stuff. White - so unlikely a Shellac (unless a melange).
White might indicate a polish, not a glaze.

So... we have a white thick liquid which dries clear......

• Is it sticky?
  • Any smell? If so, of what?

• Did you wear gloves to apply (any advice with product re application?)
    If no gloves - any reaction to contact with skin? redness, itchiness?

• Did the cloth you used wash clean in water? Or did you need to use a spirit cleaner?

• If you apply some to a piece of plastic, does it rub or peel off when dry?
  • Can you scratch the product off with a fingernail when dry?

• Does a droplet dry similar to a gel? Rubbery - or firm and solid - or crumbly?

• Does it feel gritty?
  • Did you rub to get the shine?

ETA:  * If you place a layer between two pieces of thin plastic - does it glue them together?

Could you add a photo of a couple of small drops of the product, one wet and one dry?

Thanks for your help finding out exactly what this stuff is. 🤔

:)

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on March 02, 2022, 02:52:12 PM
Totally intruigued by this stuff. White - so unlikely a Shellac (unless a melange).
White might indicate a polish, not a glaze.

So... we have a white thick liquid which dries clear......

• Is it sticky?
.   No
  • Any smell? If so, of what?
    . None
    • Did you wear gloves to apply (any advice with product re application?) yes
      If no gloves - any reaction to contact with skin? redness, itchiness?

• Did the cloth you used wash clean in water? Or did you need to use a spirit cleaner?
      did not save
      • If you apply some to a piece of plastic, does it rub or peel off when dry?
      does not say to use on plastic
      • Can you scratch the product off with a fingernail when dry?
        did not try
        • Does a droplet dry similar to a gel? Rubbery - or firm and solid - or crumbly?
        did not try

• Does it feel gritty?
        no
        • Did you rub to get the shine?
        just wipe it on

ETA:  * If you place a layer between two pieces of thin plastic - does it glue them together? Did not try

Could you add a photo of a couple of small drops of the product, one wet and one dry? Tom Moro's

Thanks for your help finding out exactly what this stuff is. 🤔

:)
I hope I passed the exam!
Kidphone

FABphones

Need more info, but it was a big ask.

My guess is it is a (film forming) Liquid Polymer.

Purchased in larger (5 gal for example) containers and decanted into smaller bottles. Name made up by the seller.

The science bit:
https://www.britannica.com/technology/surface-coating/Polymer-film-forming-processes
;D

Doug Rose

I have had this phone for easily 40 years, one of the first phones I ever purchased when I had zero knowledge.

It kept getting pushed in back of phones, wiped off moved to the front ...etc. Never polished with Brasso.

I thought it was a lost cause, all spotted and dull. but I first tried the Wrights Polish with fine steel wool. Better.

I tried the QAR-GLAYZE after and it just shined this beauty up.

I think it is Dutch, but it has been a long time. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Back to the front row!....Doug

Kidphone

FABphones

Belgian 'Toilet Phone';
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20593

Bell telephone mfg co, Antwerp.